Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Momma cloth questions

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Okay, so I've VERY recently heard of momma cloth.. can someone explain this to me.. i know what it is, but do you make your own, do you use the same detergent as CD to wash them.. are they more comfortable.. more smelly... and do you wear tampons still?

by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 4:10 AM
I buy mine from Mama Bear Baby Wear on etsy. I wash with regular clothes and still use tampons when out & about. The chemicals in conventional products cause the smell. My cycles hav become shorter and more manageable with mama cloth. Good luck!
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I wash them with regular clothes or throw them in with the cloth diapers. I used to get rashed from pads and it has helped the a lot. 

catholicmamamia
by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Quoting megthompson920: Okay, so I've VERY recently heard of momma cloth.. can someone explain this to me.. i know what it is, but do you make your own....    I have both commercial and homemade. 

do you use the same detergent as CD to wash them....    When I was cd I washed them with my dipes.. now that I am no longer cd (youngest is age four) I just wash them with the towels using our regular detergent (sometimes natural commercial, sometimes homemade). Note.. I pre-rinse very well before storing in airtight container to be washed later.

are they more comfortable.. more smelly... and do you wear tampons still....    More comfortable.. no more irritation.. no smell.. never wore tampons in the first place, only disposable pads before washable pads.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

wenDmommy
by on May. 6, 2013 at 5:54 AM

i used to use the diva cup before.. then stopped because it went missing and had a lot of life changes going on.. 

I'm about to start again after I deliver this baby..  I plan to use cloth pads from a few sellers on etsy.com and a diva cup again after the postpartum phase.  I think using a combination of both I should be fine. I have a really heavy flow, i'm hoping it gets better going natural and besides with tampons I would always sometimes with the diva cup I could even go to the gym with no worries :) 

VintageWife
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM

They are soooooo much more comfortable and your period seems lighter. I've never worn tampons and don't plan on it.

megthompson920
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you all for so much info! I checked out some etsy stores and I'm going to order some on hubbys next pay day.. I really don't like the irritation that regular pads cause.. I feel like I have a diaper rash!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I love momma cloth ad I bought some online and was given some from friends...I was them wth cloth diapers, but rinse before washing them.  I hate tampons now after using them and I hated pads before lol

TTC2Long
by on May. 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I wash mine right along with my cd. I don't do anything special with them and they come out clean and lovely every time. I've noticed a HUGE difference in my periods since switching - MUCH lighter flow, less, if any, cramping and the whole thing is very short.

An interesting note - I wore mostly cloth post partum this time, but did supplement with the disposable pads the hospital sends home with you. I noticed a dramatic decrease in bleeding when using cloth, just from switching sposie to cloth after a few hours.
megthompson920
by on May. 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I wonder what causes periods to be lighter and shorter with the cloth pads? Right now I have an extremely heavy flow and it lasts 7-9 days.. I wonder if switching will help! 

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I've only ever used them as pantiliners but I just wash them with my diapers with the same detergent as my diapers!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)