Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Feeling insecure in our decision to send our kids to public school

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 67 Replies

My husband has always wanted to home school, I have always been a fence sitter.  I am the stay at home parent, though, and I in no way feel qualified to teach my children everything they need to know.  Educators go to school for years learning how to help children retain knowledge and I have none of that expeience.  And my daughter is starting school in just a few months...

I just feel so strange and torn about it.  She is VERY excited at the prospect of being around other kids all day and getting to play on the playground and be with a teacher.  She really wants to do it.  I'm just so nervous.  It will be so strange not to have her here for several hours a day and to ahve her come home and know things I didn't teach her or witness her learning.  The school she will be attending does really well on standardized testing, I don't doubt that she will be getting a good education, but I worry about her being pounded into a mold I don't quite agree with.  I worry about her getting hurt (Newtown JUST happened in my mind).  I worry that she won't be getting enough opportunities to express herself and grow in the arts, if that's what interests her.

I worry that I am basing my decision to send her to public school on what is easiest, not what is best.  I'd send her to private school, which I feel is a decent compromise, if I could afford it, but I can't.  I'd teach her at home, but I really honestly don't think I'm up to the task, not to mention that I want to go back to work eventually.

Public school really seems like what will work best for our family, but I know that the education system needs serious overhaul and I know that I don't want her to be taught what to think intead of how to think. 

It's very overwhelming.

I don't know what anyone could say that would make it better, but I thought if anyone would be able to help, it would be you guys.  Sorry for the ramble :/

by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Have you researched schools? My state ranks at 48 in education so naturally this was a big concern of mine. I researched and toured various charter schools and found an incredible Montessori charter school that I feel very confident in.

Researching is important to feel good in your decision. Don't be afraid to shop around. But start doing it soon if you haven't already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish I could help but we homeschool.  I was never comfortable with the idea of sending my kids to someone else to teach for so many hours a day.

Teachers get all that training on how to teach in a public school, and manage classrooms.  I don't need that degree because I teach my own kids and I don't have school policies to work around. 

RADmomma
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM
This.

It's a tough choice!! Good luck!!

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I wish I could help but we homeschool.  I was never comfortable with the idea of sending my kids to someone else to teach for so many hours a day.

Teachers get all that training on how to teach in a public school, and manage classrooms.  I don't need that degree because I teach my own kids and I don't have school policies to work around. 

GoodyBrook
by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Kindergarten is not mandatory, is it?  Can you not keep your child home for a year and homeschool her for a year to see how it goes?  If you don't feel good about it, you can put her into 1st grade...

AtiFreeFalls
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I have researched.  Here there is no option to switch schools.  You go to the one you are assigned based on district.  If you want something else, you can pay for private school or you can home school. 

The school in our district has scored really well on standardized testing.  The schools in the rich parts of town are, of course, better, but out of the poor kid schools this one is the best lol.  My state is middle of the pack for education in the nation.  I realize that our nation is failing miserably at educating our youths, though.  So that worries me :(

The Montessouri school here charges $600 a month per child tuition.  If I went to work full time and paid for day care for my son I MIGHT be able to afford that lol. Not really going to happen with our current situation, though.

Quoting jellyphish:

Have you researched schools? My state ranks at 48 in education so naturally this was a big concern of mine. I researched and toured various charter schools and found an incredible Montessori charter school that I feel very confident in.

Researching is important to feel good in your decision. Don't be afraid to shop around. But start doing it soon if you haven't already.

AtiFreeFalls
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Managing a classroom isn't the only thing they go to school for, though I see what you're saying.  I am unprepared in so many ways, though.  And in my research on homeschool I learned that not every college or university accepts kids who complete high school through a home schooling program.  Which is another concern of mine. 

Quoting JadeTigr7:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM
There are no charter schools?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AtiFreeFalls
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I just looked it up.  We have lived in states where K IS mandatory, I thought it was here too, but it's not, which is good to know.  Thanks for the idea! 

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Kindergarten is not mandatory, is it?  Can you not keep your child home for a year and homeschool her for a year to see how it goes?  If you don't feel good about it, you can put her into 1st grade...

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM
I'm a home schooler. I've been homeschooling my daughter for 4 yrs now. My highest level of education is a highschool degree. When I hit bumps I look to my husband and/or find tutorials online. There are a lot of options out there. They have curriculums online as well as teacher support. One of the freedoms of homeschooling is your kids aren't taught to pass standardized test. I don't agree with that kind of testing as it's just to help the schools earn more money. If you want I can send you different links that can help you decide. Also when it comes to her spending time with kids you have Homeschool support groups. They get together and go on field trips as well as do different activities together. If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.
JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Actually, in my conversations with several teachers who I'm friends with, they said that WAS the main focus of their education.

I have no worries on my kids being able to get into college.  Most colleges, including the majority of Ivy league schools take homeschool transcripts, as long as they are accompanied by good SAT/ACT scores. 

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

Managing a classroom isn't the only thing they go to school for, though I see what you're saying.  I am unprepared in so many ways, though.  And in my research on homeschool I learned that not every college or university accepts kids who complete high school through a home schooling program.  Which is another concern of mine. 

Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN