Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Feeling insecure in our decision to send our kids to public school

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband has always wanted to home school, I have always been a fence sitter.  I am the stay at home parent, though, and I in no way feel qualified to teach my children everything they need to know.  Educators go to school for years learning how to help children retain knowledge and I have none of that expeience.  And my daughter is starting school in just a few months...

I just feel so strange and torn about it.  She is VERY excited at the prospect of being around other kids all day and getting to play on the playground and be with a teacher.  She really wants to do it.  I'm just so nervous.  It will be so strange not to have her here for several hours a day and to ahve her come home and know things I didn't teach her or witness her learning.  The school she will be attending does really well on standardized testing, I don't doubt that she will be getting a good education, but I worry about her being pounded into a mold I don't quite agree with.  I worry about her getting hurt (Newtown JUST happened in my mind).  I worry that she won't be getting enough opportunities to express herself and grow in the arts, if that's what interests her.

I worry that I am basing my decision to send her to public school on what is easiest, not what is best.  I'd send her to private school, which I feel is a decent compromise, if I could afford it, but I can't.  I'd teach her at home, but I really honestly don't think I'm up to the task, not to mention that I want to go back to work eventually.

Public school really seems like what will work best for our family, but I know that the education system needs serious overhaul and I know that I don't want her to be taught what to think intead of how to think. 

It's very overwhelming.

I don't know what anyone could say that would make it better, but I thought if anyone would be able to help, it would be you guys.  Sorry for the ramble :/

by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this
There are the CLEPS test that all colleges accept.

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

Managing a classroom isn't the only thing they go to school for, though I see what you're saying.  I am unprepared in so many ways, though.  And in my research on homeschool I learned that not every college or university accepts kids who complete high school through a home schooling program.  Which is another concern of mine. 

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I wish I could help but we homeschool.  I was never comfortable with the idea of sending my kids to someone else to teach for so many hours a day.

Teachers get all that training on how to teach in a public school, and manage classrooms.  I don't need that degree because I teach my own kids and I don't have school policies to work around. 

AtiFreeFalls
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM

There is one for K-8.  But enrollment is in January and I had no idea it existed.  Finding any information on this stuff is tough.  Finding any information on anything in this town is tough lol.  Anyway, we missed open enrollment for this year. 

Quoting jellyphish:

There are no charter schools?

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM
This. I had the same fear you do and then I spent some time with a homeschooling family and try really put it into perspective for me. If you can read, you learn and teach at the same time. Everything you need to teach them is right in front of you.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I wish I could help but we homeschool.  I was never comfortable with the idea of sending my kids to someone else to teach for so many hours a day.

Teachers get all that training on how to teach in a public school, and manage classrooms.  I don't need that degree because I teach my own kids and I don't have school policies to work around. 

larissalarie
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Not all areas/states have charter schools. I'd never heard of such a thing where I grew up in Kansas or where I lived in Missouri, Colorado was the first place we lived that offered that option.

OP, admitting your limitations is GOOD. Homeschool can be great or homeschool can be a complete disaster. I grew up around a lot of homeschooling and I've seen first hand what happens to kids who's parents aren't up for the task. They wind up far worse off than a mediocre public school education.

I think you are being too all or nothing about the whole thing personally. Just because your child goes off to school doesn't mean you don't still participate in their education.
Homeschool is as good an opportunity as you make it, Public school is as good as what you the parent make it. A HUGE reason our public schools are failing so miserably is parents who think it's all up to the school and do nothing to educate or help educate their own children.

Quoting jellyphish:

There are no charter schools?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I'm afraid that I have to agree with you on this one. 

While getting my teaching degree, I had ONE class one semester on "how" to teach English (a methods class).  But I had quite a few on behavior and childhood development--that all ended with ways to manage your classroom.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Actually, in my conversations with several teachers who I'm friends with, they said that WAS the main focus of their education.

I have no worries on my kids being able to get into college.  Most colleges, including the majority of Ivy league schools take homeschool transcripts, as long as they are accompanied by good SAT/ACT scores. 

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

Managing a classroom isn't the only thing they go to school for, though I see what you're saying.  I am unprepared in so many ways, though.  And in my research on homeschool I learned that not every college or university accepts kids who complete high school through a home schooling program.  Which is another concern of mine. 

Quoting JadeTigr7:

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

It makes a lot of sense. I 'd want classes like that if I was teaching 25-30 students at a time.  It's important in learning how to efficiently teach that many children, but for homeschool parents, well, we generally don't need that.

When I first went to college, back when I was 19 I started out getting my early childhood education degree.  Most of that was how to manage each age group.  Some of it was learning the different styles to teach, and then we were told, but here's HOW you're going to teach.  Most of it was how to stick to a schedule, and handle the amount of students in your class.

I've used very little of that in actually teaching my own children.  The only thing I learned was knowing that my youngest son needed speech therapy because he wasn't reaching milestones the way he should.  Ones I had those tools to, thanks to the awesome speech therapist, I don't need to take my son to therapy anymore either, and he's up to where he should be. 

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I'm afraid that I have to agree with you on this one. 

While getting my teaching degree, I had ONE class one semester on "how" to teach English (a methods class).  But I had quite a few on behavior and childhood development--that all ended with ways to manage your classroom.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Actually, in my conversations with several teachers who I'm friends with, they said that WAS the main focus of their education.

I have no worries on my kids being able to get into college.  Most colleges, including the majority of Ivy league schools take homeschool transcripts, as long as they are accompanied by good SAT/ACT scores. 

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

MrsKish
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

there are  online OPs  like adcmouse.com  your can't really mess up prek and K ;) just saying 

BabyFruit Ticker

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I'm sorry I do understand how you feel. My son has special needs and the school district did not want to give him an IEP or help so we basically have to put him in school and let him suffer to prove he needs help. I can't imagine doing that to him! I just decided to homeschool all of my kids. There are so many ways to homeschool and really everyone thinks you need to be qualified or smart to do it. You really don't and can make it as easy or as hard as you choose. It can be very simple. 

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I'm going to home school my 1 year old when the time comes. If you don't feel qualified there are so many online options now that you don't have to "teach" to home school. I feel completely qualified to teach up to high school though and I dropped out sophomore year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 6, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Plan to be very involved in her schooling, volunteer in her classroom, help with homework, go on field trips.  WHen your daughters home find out what interests her and unschool, if shes into arts find her art lessons, if its history go to the history museum, etc etc.  Cook with her to help her learn math concepts.

I'm a public school teacher and I really believe homeschooling can be an awesome thing but at the same time some kids NEED the interaction with other kids and other adults.  My kiddos do for sure.  2 of my 3 in school refuse to read to us just do just fine in school...its strange lol.  They learn things from us that they want to learn and at school learn whats necessary if that makes sense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)