Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What do I really need for the hospital??

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 14 Replies
I'm almost due and haven't packed my hospital bag.. Pff unfortunately I can't have a home birth. I'm due to b there only 2 days.

What should I pack? My brain seems fried and those lists online seem excessive..

Do I take cloth diapers to the hospital or not? What else should I pack?

What did u pack? Did u regret not taking something?
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I packed clothes for both of us, brush, tooth brush, music, EOs, camera/phone, snacks and rrl tea, and a car seat. I don't like to CD before the cord comes off, but if you want to, bring those.

The hospital will have everything else, and what you wish you had someone can get for you. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahsMommy10412
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I just packed the car seat, clothes for my son (boyfriends mom and dad bought me clothes but you should pack some for yourself), camera (you gotta take pictures of your kid), cell phone (to call people), you could bring food (hospital food isn't that great), and bottles (if you formula feed although the hospital will have premade bottles). The hospital has everything else you need.
3kidz123
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I'm bringing my cloth dipaers because my hospital uses disposables and I don't want them on the baby. I'm also bringing it's clothes because I want the baby in it's own comfy, washed in my detergant clothes. I will bring a glass bottle incase for some reason it has to have a bottle, because we don't want to use plastic ones. 

I haven't packed yet so I don't know what else I'll bring.

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I had the carseat already installed in the car, cloth diapers, pjs for me, hat for baby and socks (I used their clothes since they tend to get blood on them from their cord), shampoo & conditioner (other hair stuff if needed), slippers, a Boppy pillow or My Brest Friend pillow, your pillow if you need it, phone charger, books or magazines, dvds...Hmm I'm trying to think lol

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Oh yeah....duh...camera! And maybe some labor snacks to sneak lol

MacMamaof5
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:30 AM

You might want to hold off on the CD until the meconium passes as it is very hard to remove it from cloth and may ruin the diaper.  Or you can just layer the CD with an extra cloth or a disposable insert like in the G Diaper.  Just a thought.

wink

Quoting 3kidz123:

I'm bringing my cloth dipaers because my hospital uses disposables and I don't want them on the baby. I'm also bringing it's clothes because I want the baby in it's own comfy, washed in my detergant clothes. I will bring a glass bottle incase for some reason it has to have a bottle, because we don't want to use plastic ones. 

littlelambe2
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I packed

• Clothes to labor in (I prefer my own clothes over hospital garb)
  • clothes for baby
  • Baby blanket
  • pjs for myself while there (I came home same day I delivered both times)
  • A set of clothes to come home in
  • toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, Chapstick)
  • Hairbrush and hair ties
  • Camera
  • Phone
  • Money
  • Carseat

That's it. The hospital supplies you with everything you need. 

littlelambe2
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

You can also line a cloth diaper with a coffee filter :)

Quoting MacMamaof5:

You might want to hold off on the CD until the meconium passes as it is very hard to remove it from cloth and may ruin the diaper.  Or you can just layer the CD with an extra cloth or a disposable insert like in the G Diaper.  Just a thought.

wink

Quoting 3kidz123:

isaacsmommy68
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

you will need shampoo, toothbrush,toothpaste and soap for yourself. PJs if you don't want to wear the gown. Change of clothes to go home in for you and the baby. The hospital should provide for the baby's needs (including diapers) while you are there. I used disposable the first few weeks, it was just easier for us. Car seat. Pillow or blanket from home if you want it. Also pack food! I packed a bunch of snacks for me and my husband. I was sooo hungry when I was there. Good luck!!

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I've used cloth from day 1 and never had any trouble. Just lay in the sun to get rid of the stains.

Quoting MacMamaof5:

wink

Quoting 3kidz123:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN