Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Question for Homeschooling momma's

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

So my daughter is 3.5 and my youngest is a year and a half. They are in daycare full time right now because I can't afford to stay home with my kids. They absolutely hate it though. My daughter tells me every single day that she just wants to be home with me. Right now I'm actually not working due to an injury at work, so I'm home on worker's comp. But, I'll be going back in a few weeks, and sadly have to put them back in daycare, which my oldest is absolutely dreading.

she is supposed to start preschool in the fall, which will be great for her, she's a little sponge, and can soak up so much information. At just three, I've been able to teach her how to spell and write her name. She can count to 35 in English, 11 in Spanish and 10 in French. My husband and I have talked about homeschooling our kids, because we basically don't believe in anythign they teach in public schools, and I don't want ideas crammed down my kids' throats, that they are forced to learn to pass some stupid test, that is just designed to raise money. 

My 3 year old also has Aspergers. I know schools can handle this pretty well, but who knows better how to teach her and what she needs more than her own mother? So, my questions, finally lol, is... is there any way I can homeschool my daughters while I work full time? Unfortunately, not working is not an option. I'm almost finished with my bachelors degree in human resource management, and will have a career soon, so I need to make up my mind very quickly about the best approach for our family. If I can afford it at all, I would like to put them in private school, if we can't afford to homeschool, but I just don't know if that will be an option as fast as I need it to be.. Any advice would be so appreciated! Sorry this is so long!!!

by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Yes, there are moms that homeschool and work.

I work, but i work in ways I dont have to leave the kids all the time.
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Yes! Without all the waiting they do in public schools it actually takes only a few hours to do it all at home. I mean, you aren't waiting for 15-25 students to finish one task before moving on, standing in line for the bathroom for 15 minutes, etc. Home school lessons can be very adaptable.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Homeschooling doesn't have to be an 8 to 3 event.  You can do it in the evenings after work and after they're home from daycare.  Or you can do it 7 days a week.  Or you can do it year round.  There is flexibility in a homeschooling schedule.  (I am not a homeschooler--yet!)

larissalarie
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Absolutely, you can do anything if you decide to do it :) Your schedule might be totally different than most and you might not have AS much down time as a family. *You* will be extremely busy and have to be committed to doing it even when you're tried from work. But totally doable :)
I can't say for a child with aspergers, but we could easily get through a whole day or two of lessons & work in a couple of hours.

Oh, and in our state, the homeschooling kiddos still have to take the standardized state tests.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megthompson920
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM

So, they would just go to daycare, or have a nanny while I'm at work, and then I could homeschooling at night? That's pretty amazing!!! I have a friend who's really big on Unschooling, but I feel like that would have to be more for if I could be home

RheaF
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Yes, you can! Join the homeschoolers group on here. There are many Moms who homeschool and work full time. Homeschooling very rarely takes more than 3-4 hours a day. Our lessons take about 4( DD will be in third grade, DS is in pre-k). We school year round, four days a week and it works great. My DS also has ADHD, and Aspergers. There are challenges homeschooling a special needs child, but it is worth it.
RheaF
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Also, every state is different with it's laws. Here in DE, we have to register our school( as a non-public school), at the beginning of the year I report who is "attending", and at the end I send in an attendance report for each child. Some states require more, some less. Check out the HSLDA site for a link to your states laws.
melindabelcher
by mel on May. 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Yes all this.
Do you and your dh plan to work opposite shifts?

Quoting larissalarie:

Absolutely, you can do anything if you decide to do it :) Your schedule might be totally different than most and you might not have AS much down time as a family. *You* will be extremely busy and have to be committed to doing it even when you're tried from work. But totally doable :)
I can't say for a child with aspergers, but we could easily get through a whole day or two of lessons & work in a couple of hours.

Oh, and in our state, the homeschooling kiddos still have to take the standardized state tests.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)