Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

better diy laundry soap??

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have been using a homemade laundry soap consisting of: fels naptha, borax, and super washing soda. And all of my whites are turning grey! I really want to love this and continue making my own laundry soap but cannot have my colors going off like that! So does anybody have suggestions to keep the colors bright and the whites white naturally??
Also I've been thinking about trading out the fels naptha for dr. Bronners... has anyone tried this? If so how well does it work? If anybody would like to share their recipe for laundry soap that would be awesome too!
Thanks in advance for any insight! :)
by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AudlyLuvly
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Add some peroxide or oxyclean to the wash.
nikzup03
by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Do you have hard water?
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM
This!! I use a thing of baby oxyclean that someone gave me at my baby shower. I still have it a year later since I do all of my whites at once every two to three weeks.

Quoting AudlyLuvly:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
May-mom
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Yes I do...

Quoting nikzup03:

Do you have hard water?

May-mom
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM
My ds is allergic to oxiclean, but I could try the peroxide! How much do you use per load?

Quoting AudlyLuvly:

AudlyLuvly
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM
About 1/4 cup.

Quoting May-mom:

My ds is allergic to oxiclean, but I could try the peroxide! How much do you use per load?

Quoting AudlyLuvly:

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Generic oxygen bleach ( I like Kroger brand) doesn't have all the extra junk oxyclean does.. I have hard water and use the same recipe with Kirk's Castile soap and Kroger oxygen bleach.
I do I bar soap, I cup each washing soda, borax and oxygen bleach.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

add some oxyclean, you probably have hard water.

Aleewink
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I use the Dr. Bronners soap and I love it. I add extra washing soda for the tough (smelly) loads and I use vinegar for the "softener" with some essential oils. Hubby loves the smell of our laundry and we haven't had any trouble with the colors...:) Would love to know how the peroxide works!
madisonsmom2005
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:10 PM

All I use is Borax and Super washing soda. I gave up on the bar soaps a long time ago. When I wash towels I do add a little vinegar to it. It seems to work well. Plus it is so easy to make! Good luck!

~Jen~ Group Owner of Bringing Birth Home.    http://www.cafemom.com/group/116103                                                                                                              I am a home birthing, breastfeeding, midwife using, cloth diapering, delayed cord cutting, natural birthing type of mama!

Pregnancy%20ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN