Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Castor oil to induce labor?

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM
  • 78 Replies

Ask I'm past my due date and now I'm just waiting....and waiting and waiting....waiting for this baby to come out that is! My doctor told me I have until next week before they schedule me to get induced because they don't let people go past 41 weeks. He also told me that they have a high c-section for people who get induced... Which I am not fond of hearing especially since I planned to have a natural birth, water birth to be exact but they don't offer water births at all where I'm from...

Doing some research I heard that castor oil helps naturally induce labor, and was winding if anyone out there has tried it? I really want to get this baby out of me before they force it out with medicine I don't want in my body...

This is my first pregnancy so idk what to expect. Also anyone have any experiences with getting induced I'd love to hear your birth stories to ease my fears.....

UPDATE: BABY IS HERE!
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 9, 2013 at 12:47 AM
I tried it, it was absolutely horrible and didn't help at all. I was induced at 41 days 5 weeks and had a vaginal birth...
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM
6 moms liked this

Don't use Castor oil.

Your doctor cannot force you to be induced. You can refuse. As you should unless there is a sound medical reason for it.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 9, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I also tried sex, nipple stimulation, indian and chinese foods, citrus fruits, walking up and down the stairs all day...nothing happened.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Oh forgot to mention induction was due to insufficient fluids.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I tried it, it was absolutely horrible and didn't help at all. I was induced at 41 days 5 weeks and had a vaginal birth...

doulala
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM
6 moms liked this

Induction (any route) means forcing labor before mom and/or baby are ready.   You *will* labor when it's Time, of course.    Why add unnecessary risks to you or your baby?

da808gypsy
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:05 AM
How was it horrible, and how much did you take?

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

da808gypsy
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Yeah nothing had been working for me and I'm walking EVERYWHERE.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I also tried sex, nipple stimulation, indian and chinese foods, citrus fruits, walking up and down the stairs all day...nothing happened.
mrssummerlin
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM
5 moms liked this
I wouldn't waste my time with it.

If that baby hasn't come yet then it's not ready.
As for the induction, YOU CAN DECLINE. They can not force you to have an induction just because your overdue.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on May. 9, 2013 at 1:12 AM
The taste was beyond awful, it actually made me quite sick and gave me diarrhea :-(

Quoting da808gypsy:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

doulala
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I can tell you what it felt like for me:       (lol)
   Convulsing diarrhea.    ..Then when no more poo:  dry-heaving from the butt.     Then hemorrhaging postpartum and too sick to hold baby/separated from baby.   Harder recovery as well.   (comparatively to spontaneous, natural labor)

*It's risky and harsh, and it's induction.     If you want a safer (and more pleasant) experience be sure to avoid unnecessary risks.

Quoting da808gypsy:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN