Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Bacterial Vaginosis

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 14 Replies
Are there any natural treatments for bacterial vaginosis? I'm 37 weeks pg & I believe I have it AGAIN. I had it at 13 weeks & did antibiotic treatment for it, but the atb made me so sick that I would really like to avoid that if there's a natural or homeopathic treatment.
by on May. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sm12
by on May. 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM

oil of oregano is used as a natural antibiotic.  Not sure if it will help you but you can research or ask at the health store.  I used it when i had mastitis and it cleared it up in one day.  My mum swears by it and uses it when she has a toothache or infection.  Good Luck...BTW when you take it in labor it will be intravenously.

Can I ask how did the ATB made you sick?  I am currently 10 weeks and tested positive and I also feel like the meds are making me sick so needless to say I am not looking forward to having it again in labor.

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Take a garlic clove, run some thread though it, and wear it overnight like a tampon. Probiotics, no sugar; you can also take some apple cider vinegar.

charity987
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Within a short time of taking it, I would get bad stomach pains & then start vomiting. I'm pretty sensitive to meds, since I rarely take them, so I was expecting it but it was still miserable.

Quoting sm12:

oil of oregano is used as a natural antibiotic.  Not sure if it will help you but you can research or ask at the health store.  I used it when i had mastitis and it cleared it up in one day.  My mum swears by it and uses it when she has a toothache or infection.  Good Luck...BTW when you take it in labor it will be intravenously.

Can I ask how did the ATB made you sick?  I am currently 10 weeks and tested positive and I also feel like the meds are making me sick so needless to say I am not looking forward to having it again in labor.

charity987
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I was able to get ahold of a midwife who lives out of state but is a friend of a friend. She said the tread my is hydrogen peroxide mixed with water (half & half) over the area (can even be done internally). And she said to increase Vit C, Vit D3 & Probiotics. One treatment with the peroxide & the insane itching stopped!
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM

very nice, good to know!

Quoting charity987:

I was able to get ahold of a midwife who lives out of state but is a friend of a friend. She said the tread my is hydrogen peroxide mixed with water (half & half) over the area (can even be done internally). And she said to increase Vit C, Vit D3 & Probiotics. One treatment with the peroxide & the insane itching stopped!

charity987
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I know, right? She said I need to continue the peroxide for a week & I should be good. It just blows my mind that something so simple as hydrogen peroxide can treat this & MDs just jump right to harsh antibiotics (that can cause a yeast infection, among other things).

Quoting Sarah725:

very nice, good to know!

Quoting charity987:

GoodyBrook
by on May. 10, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Midwife gave me Borax capsules.  After one overnight with one capsule, my "issue" was gone...

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Lightly steamed garlic wrapped in cheese cloth and inserted like a tampon. And add lots of garlic, as much as you can handle, to your diet.
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:32 AM
I had antibiotics in labor for group n strep with my oldest son. And then followed 3 months of the most aggressive case of thrush I have ever heard of in my life. NOTHING made it go away, and I tried literally everything both natural and alopathic. It finally went away all on its own. Hindsight being what it is, I would have declined the antibiotics.

Quoting charity987:

I know, right? She said I need to continue the peroxide for a week & I should be good. It just blows my mind that something so simple as hydrogen peroxide can treat this & MDs just jump right to harsh antibiotics (that can cause a yeast infection, among other things).

Quoting Sarah725:

very nice, good to know!

Quoting charity987:

BaileysMom9
by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I used garlic and high doses of probiotics.  Pierce a garlic clove several times, sew a string onto one end and insert vaginally.  I was doing it day and night for 7 days (replacing twice a day, and at bedtime).  I had a really bad BV infection with pelvic pain, cramping and pressure.  It worked really well, although after stopping and going back to my regular routine, some of my symptoms started coming back :/  I ended up doing the garlic treatment twice, then finally caved and took the antibiotics (which I'm just finishing up).  I have Clindamycin... LUCKILY I haven't had any side effects, but I've been making sure to take my probiotics to help ward off any ill effects.  I was super paranoid to take them though because I HATE antibiotics and i was nervous about potential side effects. 

Anyway, I would try the garlic and up your probiotics for 7-10 days.  BV sucks, and I've dealt with it off and on since last year :/ 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN