Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
Can anyone tell me your experince with it and how it works?

Oh and hello! This is my first post in this group :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Replies (21-28):
vcory
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:58 AM
We used NFP (natural family planning) and it worked perfectly for us. I've never used any firm of birth control and we never got pregnant until we tried. We've used it since January/February 2010 and I only started charting my temps last September. I'd recommend using fertility friend and taking your temp everyday vaginally. Vaginal is more accurate than oral because breathing through your mouth can change your temp and make it not accurate. You have to temp everyday at the same time and need 4 or more hours to get an accurate temp. Make sure to chart your cervical position and cervical fluid. Fertility Friend also has an app which makes it super easy. Charting can also give you a good idea if your hormones are balanced or not. After charting for 2-3 cycles I'd recommend seeing a midwife and showing her your charts and see what she thinks. I'll be going right back to it 6 weeks after I have this baby.
lifeforchrist
by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM

the rhythm method is not fertility awareness or natural family planning.  You use the rhythm method if you want to get pregnant because it doesn't work. Fertility awareness is about tracking your cycles and understanding your fertile times and when sex will not cause pregnancy. It is very effective, and if used correctly is more effective than any other form of birthcontrol, since you are having sex during infertile times when pregnancy is impossible. While other bc's can fail during a fertile time and cause pregnancy.

lifeforchrist
by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

what do you mean exactly regular? women with very irregular cycles can easily family plan.

Quoting kailu1835:

It absolutely does not work unless you are exactly regular to the day. Natural Family Planning is 100% effective if you do it religiously. Charting your temperature that you take every morning before you even sit up, at the same hour, after a minimum 3 hours of sleep, and also checking for cervical flow. It sounds a lot harder than it really is. I did it religiously for 2 years to prevent conception, and then used it to get pregnant. It took me a single month to get pregnant.

homemaker007
by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM

The Rhythm method does in fact work. when your partner has the control to "pull out" when he is about to climax. The problem I have found with rhythm method, a hot passionate evening with a glass or two of wine might lead to a pregnancy- as baby #2-#3 and #5 lead to mine, lol.... 

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Oh of course! But not with the rythm method. The rhythm method and natural family planning are two different things. I think that is the confusion here.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

what do you mean exactly regular? women with very irregular cycles can easily family plan.

Quoting kailu1835:

It absolutely does not work unless you are exactly regular to the day. Natural Family Planning is 100% effective if you do it religiously. Charting your temperature that you take every morning before you even sit up, at the same hour, after a minimum 3 hours of sleep, and also checking for cervical flow. It sounds a lot harder than it really is. I did it religiously for 2 years to prevent conception, and then used it to get pregnant. It took me a single month to get pregnant.

Sunshine71980
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Rhythm method basically works (sometimes if you are a normal (read here-28 day cycle with little to no variation).  I'd recommend looking into natural family planning because it does work with your body and cycle.  You can always err on the side of caution if you think it might be a fertile day.  I had widely irregular periods (like 28-47 day cycles) and we were able to use NFP successfully for 4 years to avoid pregnancy.

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Just start counting 14 days from the first day of your period. Subtract 5 bc sperm can live 5. So starting day 9 you're fertile until about day 17. So right after your get off you're good, and right before you start.
Assuming you're on a textbook cycle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hannahransom
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Read Taking Charge of Your Fertility or take a class from a qualified instructor. Use the sympto-thermal method of fertility awareness and not the rhythm method, which is highly ineffective. This involves checking cervical fluid and BBT and is based on science of how our hormones work and what environment is needed to get pregnant. It's simple, but does take some time to learn.

http://holistichormonalhealth.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)