Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Burn - wwyd?

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM
  • 12 Replies

I burned the crap out of thumb, right at the knuckle in the middle (I burned it on the side).  That was two days ago.  I have a large swollen blister now.  I know to leave them alone BUT I have a full weekend of Mother's Day activities (park, zoo etc) and I'm afraid of it bursting open and seeping while I'm out and getting germs in it.  Should I pop it now in a sterile environment and cover it? Wwyd?

btw it's annoying as heck! I've for a four month old and DH is deployed so I can't just not use my thumb... And it sucks!

by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Stupid blister!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM

From a medical stand point it's always better to let it burst on it's own.  From a mothers stand point I would want to pop it on my own now.  Sorry.  Hope you have a great Mothers Day!!

SadieJames
by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM

That's my conundrum! It's annoying and achy and would feel so much better popped.  I worry too if it bursts this weekend while I'm out it will get gross.  Ugh. 

Thanks! It's my first : ) my best friend sent me an amazing painting so its been great so far! Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Quoting Sarah725:

From a medical stand point it's always better to let it burst on it's own.  From a mothers stand point I would want to pop it on my own now.  Sorry.  Hope you have a great Mothers Day!!

larissalarie
by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM
How about you bandage it un-popped?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I could and just stick some extra stuff with me in case it pops while we are out.  It's so annoying though! Plus, I'm a picker... I can't let anything be alone.  I'm actually really proud I haven't popped it yet!  I'm mostly worried about it popping and me getting something gross on it and it getting infected. Should I take some peroxide or something?

Quoting larissalarie:

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Put some gauze, bandages and peroxide wipes in a little baggy for while you're out. I wouldn't pop it, but I'm a very squeamish person by nature. I have trouble popping pimples.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:52 PM
If you're really worried, sure.

But if it's clean & covered before you go and it stays covered, it'll be fine.

Quoting SadieJames:

I could and just stick some extra stuff with me in case it pops while we are out.  It's so annoying though! Plus, I'm a picker... I can't let anything be alone.  I'm actually really proud I haven't popped it yet!  I'm mostly worried about it popping and me getting something gross on it and it getting infected. Should I take some peroxide or something?

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on May. 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm annoyed more than worried ; ) 

i just realized I have some awesome hello kitty band aids - now I can cover it in style.  I got a little bag together of extra band aids, alcohol wipes and tissues.  I should be good.  Now I have to keep being a good girl and not pick at it!

Quoting larissalarie:

If you're really worried, sure.

But if it's clean & covered before you go and it stays covered, it'll be fine.

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting larissalarie:

JMmama
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM
I'd pop it. I know academically that is the wrong thing to do, but if it was me I know I'd pop it. It would bug me too much not to.
catholicmamamia
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Yes, this is what I would do.. :o) 

Quoting SadieJames: I could and just stick some extra stuff with me in case it pops while we are out.  It's so annoying though! Plus, I'm a picker... I can't let anything be alone.  I'm actually really proud I haven't popped it yet!  I'm mostly worried about it popping and me getting something gross on it and it getting infected. Should I take some peroxide or something?
Quoting larissalarie: How about you bandage it un-popped?

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN