Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

She went mainstream

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 42 Replies
I posted a little bit ago that my little sister came to me wanting a natural birth some what last minute. We did several things together to prepare but she decided on an induction. She had been dilated to a 4 and was 100% effaced for a week and she was 39 weeks 6 days so "close enough" whatever that means. They broke her water first, after 2 hours of no signs of labor, duh, they started pitocin, she got the epidural agreed to internal fetal monitoring for a study being conducted, and 3 hours later he was born. Both mom and baby went home the next day. He is nursing really well and she is doing great with it. So overall the outcome of a healthy mom and baby is what really matters. She did say something that kind of made me roll my eyes. She said it was "practically" a natural birth because she started with them breaking her water, only had to use pit a little bit and the epidural was only for a minimal time. I am non confrontational so I stayed mum. But my older sister said exactly what I was thinking, "Not one bit of this was natural, it was a complete medical proceedure." She shrugged and said ya I guess so. My older sister is planning her first natural birth for her 3rd boy in September. I and her best friend who is a doula are her support as her hubby is a marine and will be deployed at the time. I may not have had an influence on my little sister but my older sister has been such an information junkie it's awesome. :)
by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM
6 moms liked this
Ugh, I HATE when people try to downplay their interventions so they can still claim natural. I see it even in here all the time "oh I got the epidural, but it didn't work"...ooookkkkkk...
I mean sure there's no "prize" for being completely natural, but I can't stand when people want to claim something that isn't true. It cheapens it for those who really did accomplish it.
It's like if I tried to jump on the "I waited for marriage" thing because hubby and I didn't live together first so it's practically the same....uh no, no it's not.
Own your choices.

And I'm glad she had a good outcome!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Agreed.

Quoting larissalarie:

Ugh, I HATE when people try to downplay their interventions so they can still claim natural. I see it even in here all the time "oh I got the epidural, but it didn't work"...ooookkkkkk...
I mean sure there's no "prize" for being completely natural, but I can't stand when people want to claim something that isn't true. It cheapens it for those who really did accomplish it.
It's like if I tried to jump on the "I waited for marriage" thing because hubby and I didn't live together first so it's practically the same....uh no, no it's not.
Own your choices.

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Sometimes they don't work. Mine didn't. It doesn't mean I think it doesn't count as an intervention.
I assume that wasn't directed at me, but I just wanted to point out that sometimes that don't actually work. Just saying you it one and it didn't work I don't think if trying to claim a natural birth.

Quoting larissalarie:Ugh, I HATE when people try to downplay their interventions so they can still claim natural. I see it even in here all the time "oh I got the epidural, but it didn't work"...ooookkkkkk... I mean sure there's no "prize" for being completely natural, but I can't stand when people want to claim something that isn't true. It cheapens it for those who really did accomplish it. It's like if I tried to jump on the "I waited for marriage" thing because hubby and I didn't live together first so it's practically the same....uh no, no it's not. Own your choices.

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with this, I really don't care what others do, but for cryin out loud OWN it!

Quoting larissalarie:

Own your choices.

CafeMom Tickers
katherinemcp
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Ugh. I have people ask me all the time why I chose a natural birth with dd (baby 2) and I give them info, as much as they ask, never shoving it down their throats or anything...and then I hear all about their induction with interventions and even a csection...and I'm like, well why'd you act like you wanted to know!?! Thanks for wasting my time, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Nope, not directed at you unless you've tried to claim your birth was natural because your epidural didn't work or something like that.
I honestly have no clue what your personal birth story is, I know I waste a lotta time on here, but sheesh I do still have a life! :P

Quoting ceckyl:

Sometimes they don't work. Mine didn't. It doesn't mean I think it doesn't count as an intervention.

I assume that wasn't directed at me, but I just wanted to point out that sometimes that don't actually work. Just saying you it one and it didn't work I don't think if trying to claim a natural birth.

Quoting larissalarie:Ugh, I HATE when people try to downplay their interventions so they can still claim natural. I see it even in here all the time "oh I got the epidural, but it didn't work"...ooookkkkkk... I mean sure there's no "prize" for being completely natural, but I can't stand when people want to claim something that isn't true. It cheapens it for those who really did accomplish it. It's like if I tried to jump on the "I waited for marriage" thing because hubby and I didn't live together first so it's practically the same....uh no, no it's not. Own your choices.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
homemaker007
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Well You cant say- I was medically induced- with a epidural and it was all natural- lol thats crazy

homemaker007
by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

If they only had to break her water- than yes, but pitocin and a epidural no way- my last birth I was 10 with a budgling bag and so my dr. popped it and out slide my son like a slip and slide- now thats a bit of help from a good ol OBGYN not- lets break your water pump you with false oxytocin hormone and dope you up lol

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM
I am definitely not loud about my birth opinions but it seems when people find out I had a natural birth with my second suddenly I am hearing why that never could have happened for them. Honestly I don't care.

Quoting katherinemcp:

Ugh. I have people ask me all the time why I chose a natural birth with dd (baby 2) and I give them info, as much as they ask, never shoving it down their throats or anything...and then I hear all about their induction with interventions and even a csection...and I'm like, well why'd you act like you wanted to know!?! Thanks for wasting my time, lol!

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Exactly!

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

I agree with this, I really don't care what others do, but for cryin out loud OWN it!

Quoting larissalarie:

Own your choices.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)