Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

NEW natural family planning?? help!?!?

I have a four yr old and two yr old and can't take hormonal bc and i had the paragard iud I didn't like it also! So ladies who've tried or do NFP give me info on the different methods.I've been looking into standard days method have any of you done that and does it work well? Any tips welcomed also thanks:)!
by on May. 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
peaches_04
by on May. 13, 2013 at 5:13 AM
i read tcoyf and use a phone app
cjsix
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Couple to Couple League has both a book but,they also do classes and you can google their site and check it out and also see if there are classes in your area or call and find who in your area is involved in helping with them.Great program we used it for many years. It can help you learn your fertility with temp,cervix and cervical mucus signs,which can be used both to become pregnant and avoid pregnancy.

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM

We've used for 2 years to avoid pregnancy and conceive (intentionally). LOVE it. It takes a little discpline and you have to pay attention to your body's signs. A lot of people use condoms when they get closer to their ovulation period if they really want to avoid a pregnancy, but if you're familiar with your body and dedicated to following the method, it's highly effective.

Another vote for Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

No not really. If you're breastfeeding overnight you may not be able to do it - you have to get  (I think) 3-4 uninterrupted hours of sleep before taking it. It's actually kind of nice to wake up at a consistent time and then lay there for a minute before getting up.

Quoting brittney_mar25:

Is the temp a pain to do every morning?

brittney_mar25
by on May. 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM
You just do an oral temp? And is there a special thermometer for that?
Sunshine71980
by on May. 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

We like the sympto-thermal method because it uses temperature, cm, position, etc. So we could always cross check my temp with at least 1 other sign of fertility.  We used it successfully for 5 years to avoid pregnancy  and I had cycles ranging from 28-47 days in length.  The biggest complaint I've heard from other people is sometimes having to abstain for a few days is a pain, or course you could use a condom those days.  But my DH and I worked together on this and he never complained about it.  We would use the abstaining time to do other things together, like cuddle up and watch movies or whatever.

Taking my temp was not bad at all, the alarm beeped at 6 am (I had to be up at the earliest at 6:15) and I turned on the digital thermometer and put it under my tongue and fell back asleep (usually before the first beep).  When I had to get up I'd leave the thermometer on the bedside table and my DH would chart it when he got up.  As for mucous, I'd just pay attention when I would wipe after using the bathroom.  If my mucous was messed up (like if I had taken allergy or cold meds) I'd check my cervix too but most of the time that was unnecessary. 

We used the Couple to Couple League so we would have a class to attend and real people to talk to that we could show my chart to if needed.

9anabanana
by on May. 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM

more data is more effective + abstaining versus condoms and 'pull-out' is more effective ; we recommend "NFP:The Complete Approach" book ; register and download the book or order, or take a course w/DH online at www.nfpandmore.org; blog and print a free chart; we did temps and mucus + cervix for over 20 years w/o any "oops" ; best wishes, I loved getting off hormones and being free from the docs and pharmacists; glad you are looking into it; goodbye hormones and devices...

brittney_mar25
by on May. 14, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Thanks so so much everyone I'm going to do it:) I'm waiting until next month so I can practice the temps and charting before I get rid of the condoms lol:)!
Sunshine71980
by on May. 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM

You want a basal digital thermometer, we got ours with our class but I'd guess you can get one at any cvs or walgreens

And Mrs. Salz is right, if breasfeeding often at night, the temps might be inaccurate for you since you need 3-4 hours uninterrupted sleep but the book and class should help teach you how to work with/around the temps

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Sorry I have no experience with it :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)