Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm a natural mom.  We usually eat right, we rarely get sick, and we generally have little to no health issues.  Imagine my dismay when we found out my 8-month old son had eczema, a problem in which I had no prior natural health insight.

When the doctor said Eros would need hydro-cortisone cream and Zyrtec, I literally felt sick inside.  To me, this meant I'd be destroying some parts of his body to help others.  This could have meant a life-long dependency on prescription drugs...drugs that are created exactly for that purpose, for if they did cure people's problems, the pharmaceutical industry wouldn't be so rich and powerful.

Eros' eczema made itself known when we introduced food into his diet.  That told me there was an intestinal issue.  What solidified this notion was when I read facts and testimonials that pointed to vaccines and antibiotics.  I was subjected to 3 rounds of antibiotics when I was in labor because I had tested positive for Strep B, which everyone has anyway.  The antibiotics tore up my stomach and immune system so badly that I wound up with a staph infection (which I'd never had) in my breast that had to be removed surgically...there went my plan to breast-feed for 2 years!  Now I've come to find that these antibiotics may have torn up my son's stomach, causing what is referred to as a hyper-permeable stomach lining.

This thinned-out stomach lining compromises digestion, and that which is not digested can literally leak out into the blood stream and lymphatics.  Toxic matter is released all over the body and is eliminated through the skin.  If this is true, eczema is formed when toxic matter climbs through the skin from the inside, causing pain, irritation, and itchingAnd it may not be a genetic issue at all!

I decided to start over.  Eros' stomach was not ready for food.  We went back to just milk and fortified it with natural sources of calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin D, among other things.  These aid in digestion, and skin health.  We also regularly applied coconut oil topically - it eases the itching, moisturizes, and protects the skin.  His eczema has cleared up completely! Our next step is to slowly re-introduce food, starting in a few days  We are starting with freshly-juiced organic carrots...they are filled with digestive enzymes and anti-oxidants, and the pulp will prepare his stomach for solids.

I will be using foods on the GAPS Diet list, and I am a believer in muscle-testing, so I'm certain to have positive results with this plan.

I'll update when I have new info!

by on May. 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Replies (11-14):
Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Interesting. My nephew has severe excema.. they have done many allergy test and found nothing. He didnt start solids until a year.old,.ebfed until then. Now he is almost 7 and its still really bad. I dont thnk my sister is willing to.do gaps for him, but i bet it would help. Plus those kids keep on getting strep throat and being put on antibiotics :(
Karly112
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM
I suggest taking out grains. My daughter had bad screen problems and severe reflux. Her first doctor was a quack and convinced me to stop breast feeding and adding rice cereal to her formula. After one month of that, my daughter had a huge diaper rash, dry skin everywhere, and huge yellow flaky spots on her scalp. We immediately went to cloth diapers, making her formula, and cutting out grains completely. It wasn't until we took out grains that we notices changes not only in her but us as well. We are less bloated, have more energy, and just feel better all around.
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM

http://www.gaps.me/

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting jconney80:

The GAPS diet started from the beginning can help cure food allergies. Definitely what I would do and what we will be doing shortly

Can you point me to a reliable link?

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM

It would definitely help. Antibiotics destroy your gut if you have a sensitive one. It sounds like he definitely does. 

Quoting Precious333:

Interesting. My nephew has severe excema.. they have done many allergy test and found nothing. He didnt start solids until a year.old,.ebfed until then. Now he is almost 7 and its still really bad. I dont thnk my sister is willing to.do gaps for him, but i bet it would help. Plus those kids keep on getting strep throat and being put on antibiotics :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN