Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Essential Oils

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:21 AM
  • 19 Replies

I am interested in learning more about essential oils.  Which ones are good for what things and ideas for using them around the house.  I want to try more healthy alternatives for my family.  Are there any good websites that have information?  Are there any types of oil or websites that should be avoided?  I would love to take a class to learn about all the options, but have not found one that I can afford (most of the ones I have looked at the class is reasonable, but the oils are crazy high priced).  If there is another group on here that might be of help please let me know about them too.  Thank you all in advance.

by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Jellyphish is my go to for essential oils. She knows basically everything! :) She's in this group! 

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Lavender and tea tree are two of the safest and most versatile and also inexpensive, so I'd start with those! Add a few drops to bathwater (use a carrier oil so they dilute since EOs don't mix with water), add some tea tree to cleaners, use on cuts, warts, etc. I like to use lavender with some oil for a massage too.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM

EOs can be expensive but you usually only need a few drops so they last a long time.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Exaclty what mrs salz said. Tto and lav belong in every home as far as I'm concerned, after that, what to get becomes a matter of preference and use. I can totally help with that. :)
I have never found a web site I like and trust. There is so much bad info out there and it makes me crazy!
I know some great books though. Julia lawless' complete illustrated encyclopedia of aromatherapy is a fantastic book for beginners, I always suggest it for a first book.

(FYI I'm a certified aromatherapist with over 200 hrs of accredited education, you can trust me. If I don't know the answer I know how to find it. :) )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM

If you're looking for an amazing website that has quality EOs for sale at reasonable prices, check out Mountain Rose Herbs.

There is at least one EO group here on CafeMom, but it centers around the sale of doTERRA EOs...

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM
I like this site a lot too. Great oils, great profiles, no lies to sell, and decent prices.

I owned an aromatherapy group for a while but there was no activity and little interest. So I deleted it. I was hoping itd take off at least a little though.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

If you're looking for an amazing website that has quality EOs for sale at reasonable prices, check out Mountain Rose Herbs.

There is at least one EO group here on CafeMom, but it centers around the sale of doTERRA EOs...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I like doTerra but don't know much about other brands...
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I think you might need to start a website :)

Quoting jellyphish:

Exaclty what mrs salz said. Tto and lav belong in every home as far as I'm concerned, after that, what to get becomes a matter of preference and use. I can totally help with that. :)
I have never found a web site I like and trust. There is so much bad info out there and it makes me crazy!
I know some great books though. Julia lawless' complete illustrated encyclopedia of aromatherapy is a fantastic book for beginners, I always suggest it for a first book.

(FYI I'm a certified aromatherapist with over 200 hrs of accredited education, you can trust me. If I don't know the answer I know how to find it. :) )

catholicmamamia
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I love lavender and tea tree.. mine come from Whole Foods. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Karly112
by on May. 14, 2013 at 1:32 AM
wellnessmama.com has a lot of recipes. You can make sunscreen, bug spray, different lotions, cleaners for your home, and body. Anything you can think of, she has a recipe. Good luck! I have switched my family over to completely homemade, all natural products. It is way cheaper in the long run, healthier, and honestly doesn't take that much time. Especially since most things can be made in bulk and I don't have to worry about running to the store.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)