Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

pregnancy weight gain? anf swelling

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM
  • 23 Replies
How important does weight gain durinf pregnancy seem to you? With my first two i gained a total.of about 35 lbs. My third my midwife never weighed me, so i didnt know Nd didnt care. For this child i am 25 weeks and gained 20 lbs so far. I started at 112, lost a little and now Im 32 lbs. My onlt concern is that i feel reallt big and heavy, which sucks in the summer! I went to wic today and they said it was on the heavy side.

Yesterday it was 99° and i was swelling, hands and ankles. I cant remember ever swelling with the other kids, and i was pregnant with two of them during the summer. Was it just the heat? Anything i can do to.prevent it? I drank a ridiculous amount of water yesterday.
by on May. 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by on May. 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM
eat lots of cucumbers and soak in epsom salt
Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Sounds great!!! I will do that! Thanks :)

Quoting peaches_04:

eat lots of cucumbers and soak in epsom salt

peaches_04
by on May. 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM
are you monitoring your blood pressures?
Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I have low blood pressure each time its checked.

Quoting peaches_04:

are you monitoring your blood pressures?

GoodyBrook
by on May. 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Swelling can be a big deal in pregnancy, when coupled with other issues.

Make sure you're hitting the protein hard!!!  And do keep up your normal salt intake.

I had superb results in decreasing the swelling in my legs, arms, face (!) by taking the supplement Butcher's Broom.  It was suggested by my midwife, and I took it the last few weeks of pregnancy. 

Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM
I did a food diary for a week and averaged 70-75 g protein a day. I cook.witb sea salt.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Make sure you're hitting the protein hard!!!  And do keep up your normal salt intake.

I had superb results in decreasing the swelling in my legs, arms, face (!) by taking the supplement Butcher's Broom.  It was suggested by my midwife, and I took it the last few weeks of pregnancy. 

larissalarie
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I think weight gain is pretty unimportant forthe average pregnant woman in the modern industrialized world. Women gain more weight while pregnant today than ever and the obesity thing has become epidemic.

I'm swollen like crazy. I have been for weeks and it hasn't been hot here until y.esterday
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:01 PM

That's a good amount of protein if you weigh no more than 150 pounds... 

As long as it's not Table Salt (like Morton's which contains Dextrose), it'll be good.  You might want to compare your sea salt against a mineral salt like Himalayan Pink or RealSalt.  It is more expensive, but you'd be getting trace amounts of minerals too...

Quoting Precious333:

I did a food diary for a week and averaged 70-75 g protein a day. I cook.witb sea salt.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM
I will look into that! Thanks :)

Quoting GoodyBrook:

That's a good amount of protein if you weigh no more than 150 pounds... 

As long as it's not Table Salt (like Morton's which contains Dextrose), it'll be good.  You might want to compare your sea salt against a mineral salt like Himalayan Pink or RealSalt.  It is more expensive, but you'd be getting trace amounts of minerals too...

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM
That was my thought too, but i just feel so big right now that it worried me that i was going to be huge!

I just looked today and my legs are swollen too.....not use to that at all!

Quoting larissalarie:

I think weight gain is pretty unimportant forthe average pregnant woman in the modern industrialized world. Women gain more weight while pregnant today than ever and the obesity thing has become epidemic.

I'm swollen like crazy. I have been for weeks and it hasn't been hot here until y.esterday

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN