Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

8 illnesses in 4 vaccines all at once at 2 months old?

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • 101 Replies
I've heard that overwhelming a baby with so many vaacines at once can be dangerous. I decided to split them up. Last week I got 2 and my baby got a fever. Today I got 1 and Monday I will get the last one. The Dr said it was my choice and didn't have a problem. The nurse who gives the shots said I was crazy cause I should just get it all over with at once. Besides her being unprofessional, I think she isn't educated on the risks. Has anyone seperated shots? What do you think? Thank you.
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Bump! I am thinking about stopping vax altogether......
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 6:39 PM
TTC2Long
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:43 PM
We delay and selective vax, never more than 2 at a time and each are months apart for the few we do. I wouldn't take offense at what the nurse said unless she said it in a snotty way. In which case, I'd nicely let the doc know you were confused by his position on selective/delay vac since he seemed fine with it but his nurse seemed so opposed.
Corina1987
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I feel like damned if I do,damned if I don't. I'm afraid if I don't give vaccines then they will get those diseases but I'm afraid giving them will get him sick too. It's hard. How did you decide?

Quoting 907PickleMom:

Seabreeze9
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM
I think it's nuts how they think that is ok to do to a small child's body.

I have been very cautious with my vaccines. At three months she got her first. I wanted to do less but there is no way to split them up. So she got polio, dtap, and hib. She didn't have a reaction to that so we went for the second shot at three months she was up crying all night with that one. I decided to wait to continue she has one more shot in the series so we will try again maybe at 17 months. Eventually we will do the MMR but it won't be until five or later.

If I could just vaccinate her against the really threatening diseases and not the minor ones I would in a heart beat. Things like polio, diphtheria, rubella, and tetanus. I worry that should she decide to travel those are diseases that actually pose a threat. I don't believe in getting her shots for illnesses that we have easy treatments for.

I hope you can find a doctor that will work with you. You are the parent and know your child best.
Corina1987
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I feel like damned if I do,damned if I don't. I'm afraid if I don't give vaccines then they will get those diseases but I'm afraid giving them will get him sick too. It's hard. How do you decide which ones you take? I will bring it up to the Dr.,thanks. The nurse made a scene telling all the staff around her I was crazy cause I wanted to put my baby through 3 fevers instead of 1. She said I would be making too many Dr office trips. Another woman said my insurance may not pay if I split them.

Quoting TTC2Long:

We delay and selective vax, never more than 2 at a time and each are months apart for the few we do. I wouldn't take offense at what the nurse said unless she said it in a snotty way. In which case, I'd nicely let the doc know you were confused by his position on selective/delay vac since he seemed fine with it but his nurse seemed so opposed.

TTC2Long
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM
That could be true about your insurance. I'd definitely bring it up to your doctor that they were treating you that way. He needs to know how his staff is behaving when you're not there. They might nor be a good fit for his office if they don't share or can't support his philosophy.

I can't remember off the top of my head the ones we do get. We do ones that they are most likely to contract or would be most harmful if they do. The one for meningitis, MMR, but split up, hep b I think, because we're in southern California and Mexico us having a big problem with that now. We skip any sexually transmitted ones and don't start until 6 months.

Quoting Corina1987:

I feel like damned if I do,damned if I don't. I'm afraid if I don't give vaccines then they will get those diseases but I'm afraid giving them will get him sick too. It's hard. How do you decide which ones you take? I will bring it up to the Dr.,thanks. The nurse made a scene telling all the staff around her I was crazy cause I wanted to put my baby through 3 fevers instead of 1. She said I would be making too many Dr office trips. Another woman said my insurance may not pay if I split them.

Quoting TTC2Long:

Corina1987
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM
I think its crazy too! There's so much pressure. It's hard to know what's right. I agree, parents know what's best in the end.I'm hoping he doesn't develop a fever again tonight. Thank you for the advice.

Quoting Seabreeze9:

I think it's nuts how they think that is ok to do to a small child's body.

I have been very cautious with my vaccines. At three months she got her first. I wanted to do less but there is no way to split them up. So she got polio, dtap, and hib. She didn't have a reaction to that so we went for the second shot at three months she was up crying all night with that one. I decided to wait to continue she has one more shot in the series so we will try again maybe at 17 months. Eventually we will do the MMR but it won't be until five or later.

If I could just vaccinate her against the really threatening diseases and not the minor ones I would in a heart beat. Things like polio, diphtheria, rubella, and tetanus. I worry that should she decide to travel those are diseases that actually pose a threat. I don't believe in getting her shots for illnesses that we have easy treatments for.

I hope you can find a doctor that will work with you. You are the parent and know your child best.

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't vax at all, and yes that nurse was out of line.
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM
DS is almost 6 and full vax'ed.. I didn't know better when he was little. Dd is almost 2 and fully vax'ed but I might stop after she turns 2, but may just do the highly contagious/dangerous ones like polio and measles....still thinking about it.

Quoting Corina1987:

I feel like damned if I do,damned if I don't. I'm afraid if I don't give vaccines then they will get those diseases but I'm afraid giving them will get him sick too. It's hard. How did you decide?

Quoting 907PickleMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN