Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Bleeding FIVE weeks after haing baby...PIOG

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2007 at 1:08 PM
  • 9 Replies
I had my second baby five weeks ago and I still havent stopped bleeding....At about three weeks it had stopped for a few days and its just heavy spotting ever since then especially when I go to the bathroom...I'm having burning when I urinate so yesterday I had the local clinic check to see if I had a UTI and I dont...The thing that really bothers me is that sometimes, especially in the mornings, it feels like someone PUNCHED me in the crotch, right on my pubic bone kinda. Any ideas? My midwife cant get me in until next week and Im kinda worried. This has been going on for a MONTH!!With my first I was done bleeding within a week........
by on Dec. 20, 2007 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
HeatherN3Boys
by on Dec. 20, 2007 at 2:25 PM
I bled longer and heavier after my second than my first, and so do a lot of mothers I know.  That in itself doesn't worry me too much.  The whole "punched in the crotch" thing does, though!  Do you have a fever?  Swelling, foul discharge, tenderness, or redness in the area?  If you had a repair, it could be signs of an infection.  Other than that, I'm not really sure what it could be.  If it gets any worse, I would definitely suggest going to the ER.  Better safe than sorry.  :-\

Heather Edwards, CD(DONA)

by on Dec. 20, 2007 at 2:35 PM

Quoting HeatherN3Boys:

I bled longer and heavier after my second than my first, and so do a lot of mothers I know.  That in itself doesn't worry me too much.  The whole "punched in the crotch" thing does, though!  Do you have a fever?  Swelling, foul discharge, tenderness, or redness in the area?  If you had a repair, it could be signs of an infection.  Other than that, I'm not really sure what it could be.  If it gets any worse, I would definitely suggest going to the ER.  Better safe than sorry.  :-\
I keep reading that bright red bleeding is bad, and thats what Im having...It's pretty much only when I go to the bathroom so thats why I thought it was just a UTI that went without treatment too long...I havent had a fever, or anything else either...I didnt rip or tear during birth, it was an uncomplicated birth except that it was something like 48 hours long and I did let them rupture my membranes (twice!) to help speed things along because i was so exhausted...thanks for your response though, Im going crazy here! I'm wondering if Im just getting my period???? Im breastfeeding though, and with my first I didnt get my period for like six months, and I normally only get my period about every two months to begin with! So confusing...............Dang the holidays!! I wont be seeing her until the 26th, Im thinking of just calling the nurse line for now....
doulala
by on Dec. 20, 2007 at 7:03 PM
My reading/classes have always said expect about 6 weeks of bleeding (like a menstual period). It should fade over time (color and quantity). IF you are "overly" active you will most likely have more (red) bleeding the following day. Does this seem to fit your situation??
HeatherN3Boys
by on Dec. 20, 2007 at 9:09 PM

You're still using only pads and not tampons, correct?  I would definitely say no harm in calling the nurses' line.  Again, better safe than sorry!  I hope that it slows down over the next few days as you approach that 6 week mark.  It's not fun anyway, but extended bleeding is definitely not fun!  Let us know when you find out - we'll worry and you'll be in our thoughts!

Heather Edwards, CD(DONA)
MommyEmmy79
by on Dec. 23, 2007 at 5:23 PM
Hi there,
I bled for 7 weeks postpartum, with an all natural birth, and a small episotomy. I was concerned at my 6 week check-up, and the doc told me that as long as I was not experiencing unusual discomfort and not using tampons, I should be ok. It was really heavy, then tapered off about 4 weeks, then returned to a medium heavyness. Also, you want to make sure you are not losing clumps of blood either, could mean something serious. Good luck to you!
2BOYS2GIRLSTIE
by on Jul. 14, 2008 at 8:35 PM
IT HAPPENED TO ME WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS BORN I HAD HER JULY3 RD AND I BLEED FOR 3 MONTHS THE DR GAVE ME A PILL TO STOP THE BLEEDING IT WORK ALL THE TIME I TOOK THE PILL AND THEN WHEN I WAS DONE WITH THE PILLS I STARTED TO BLEED AGAIN SO WE FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT IT WAS AN  IUD THAT WAS PLACED SO WHEN THAT WAS REMOVED IT WAS DONE NO MORE BLEEDING EXCEPT THE NORMAL MONTHLY VISITS 
Hellingmama
by on Jul. 14, 2008 at 8:43 PM
I bled for 7 weeks  with #2, that was frusterating, and the "pinching" I had that too, I thought it was annoying but chalked it up to my repair (it was worst in the morning or if i was sitting for long periods of time),... I had a 3 degree tear repair,... so everything was tender and had that pinching sensation for a while,... all is healed and now its gone, it stopped once I stopped bleeding. I had kinda clotty, sometimes spotty, sometimes bright red bleeding after, but the "bright red" didnt go for long periods of time.

If you are really concerned I would go see your midwife, but like the other ladies have said as long as you are not using tampons, or having foul oder you should be fine,....
OilyMom
by on Jul. 15, 2008 at 10:03 AM
Sometimes a retained portion of placenta will cause strong bleedng postpartum. Watch for signs of fever (infection) and make sure your midwife checks you over really well next week when you see her for your post partum check.
Angela <><
violetaquinnah
by on Jul. 15, 2008 at 11:33 AM

With my first I retained some of the placenta. I was really tired and bleeding a lot sometimes huge clots. Can you get in to get an ultra sound to see if that may be the problem?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN