Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

BPA free doesn't mean BPS free

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM
  • 20 Replies

I just happened upon a blog about BPA and BPS. Ugh it makes me so mad.

This article suggest that more and more manufacturers are adding BPS to their formulas for making plastics since the FDA required them to stop using BPA.

The studies about BPS aren't too great looking. It seems like it could end up worst for you than BPA was/is.

We admittedly use a lot of plastics-especially for left over food storage (DH would break the glass containers, if he'd take them for work), after all they are much cheaper than glass containers. We have quite a few plastic water bottles that we use on the go, too. Again kids would break glass and metal ones are hard to find locally, plus I don't like the taste of water out of metal ones, blech. This news does have me worried though. I am seriously considering phasing out as many plastic containers as I can and slowly buying glass/metal ones to replace them.

Does this news suprise you? How many plastic containers do you use? Where do you buy your glass/metal containers out?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeforchrist
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:40 PM

buy glass from goodwill and the dollar store!

catholicmamamia
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM

We use a little plastic, mostly Tupperware. My metal and glass pieces are usually purchased from Target.. Bed, Bath, and Beyond.. and other department stores like JC Penney.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on May. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Also, Whole Foods.. :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM

good idea

Quoting lifeforchrist:

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Why can't they just tell us what stuff is made from. Why can't we be informed of what goes in our bodies
funhappymom
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Oh good idea! I love both of those places and it would be so easy to pick up a couple pieces every time I go without costing a lot.

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Quoting kitty8199:

Why can't they just tell us what Sid is made from. Why can't we be informed of what goes in our bodies

I agree. It's ridiculous isn't it?

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM
That should say stuff, lol. Autocorect
Other countries do. When I need to know safety, i done look at our FDA, i look at Europe

Quoting funhappymom:

Quoting kitty8199:

Why can't they just tell us what Sid is made from. Why can't we be informed of what goes in our bodies

I agree. It's ridiculous isn't it?

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM

we use a lot of mason jars in our home...In fact im having a green smoothie out of one right now:)

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM

We use mostly plastic but we have some metal water bottles now too.  We have a cloth diaper store that carries sippies and bottles that are glass and metal and they aret expensive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)