Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

how long did you push?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM
  • 64 Replies

I have heard stories of people pushing for 10 minutes, and others for 2 hours. I am curious what could be the reason for pushing so long. Im not afraid to have to push for 2 hours (though Id rather not, but who wants to push for that long? lol), but wondering if that happens from the drs wanting you to start pushing to soon? And if thats so, does one actually know that? Is there always that urge to push I have heard about when it is truely time? And when you have that urge to push, is that when it should only take a short amount of time? Or? I hope my question is clear lol.

by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tuckermum
by Crysta on May. 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I had the urge to push and it took about 15 mins.
RADmomma
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM
2 moms liked this
My first was a csection but with my baby I had a vbac & pushed for about 45 minutes
FrancineSmith
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM
2 moms liked this

When I got to 10cm, DD was still super high, so my MW had me "labor down" for a couple more hours to get her to get down lower in the birth canal. She didn't want me to have to push for hours. I ended up pushing 25 minutes. This was my VBAC baby :)

FrancineSmith
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM
4 moms liked this

I just had a VBAC too *chest bump* lol

Quoting RADmomma:

My first was a csection but with my baby I had a vbac & pushed for about 45 minutes

MommaGreenhalge
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

With my oldest, I never got to that point.  I was bullied into a section before I hit 9 cm.  My second was induced and I had an epidural, so I didn't feel the urge to push very strongly.  I did have to depend on the monitors and everyone around me to know when to push.  My third was all natural, no monitors, no IV, no epi.  And I wasn't lying on my back, either.  I felt the urge to push like a freight train, and I responded by pushing how my body told me to push.  She was out in about twenty minutes. 

Pushing on your back, being told by a doctor or monitor when to push and for how long, and having an epidural all prolong the process for most people.  But sometimes it does take a while, and that's okay.  It does help when baby is in an optimal position and you have been doing Kegels and stuff.

Jessicamarquez
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
45 minutes :D
maddiesmommy5
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I pushed 3 times, dd was born 10 mins after I got to hospital...didn't want to get there too soon! When it is time to push, your body will do it on its own. I could not have stopped if I had wanted to. 

mrssummerlin
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
12 minutes... But that was after the 44.5 hours of labour and DD dropping right where she needed to be.
Corina1987
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I had 17 hours of labor. I started to feel the urge to push right after I got to 9cm. I couldn't stop it. I pushed like 4 times and he came. It seemed very quick. Maybe 10 minutes.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I pushed for almost an hour with my first and almost a half hour with my second. They had both already crowned at the point when I started. I didn't push when I was told to, and I also didn't push the first time I had the physical urge to. With my second I wasn't even in the hospital when I wanted to push. That was really really painful. I heard horror stories of women pushing for hours because they started before they were ready to, and I refused to let that happen to me. My doctor kept leaving me because she told me she didn't need to be there if I wasn't going to let the baby come out (yeah, apparently I have superhuman vaginal muscles. She didn't like me after I said that)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN