Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I bought an anatomically correct doll for my son

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM
  • 40 Replies

My 22 month old son has been obsessed with baby dolls lately.  He goes up to little girls who are holding their babies and wants to play with them.  When we are at someone's house with babies, he will cradle and hold the babies. So I decided that I would get him his own doll.  I also decided that I would get one that would look like him when he plays with the diaper.  I got the baby from babies r us, and brought it home.  I was surprised to see that the baby was intact and pretty detailed. So far, he has loved giving it a bottle (he gets really mad when I pretend to nurse the baby), playing with its cloth diaper, and wiping the baby's butt.

I honestly don't think that getting him a doll defines his future gender identity or sexuality choices. I don't understand the flack I'm getting for this.  I have 2 younger brothers and I used to play barbies and dollies with them a lot.  They don't seem traumatized or even resentful.  In fact, both of my brothers are loving and attentive to thier own offspring and wives.

What do you think?

by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM
3 moms liked this
I think any person who has an issue with a little boy playing with a doll or any other "girl" toy is showing their OWN insecurity, in life and with their sexuality.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it!

I think it's pretty funny to get upset over it. It's especially funny if the kids of the parent who sees a problem with it goes to preschool or daycare. Pretty much every day care and preschool has dolls and dress up clothes for all of the kids to play with LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM
My ds plays with Barbies wearing a tiara and carrying his fairy wand. I think it's adorable.
hapababies
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM
That is so cute! I was in an accessory store with my 3 year old and he put a tiara on his forehead, then his Thomas the train cap on and announced to the store that he was a "Thomas Fairy". I thought it was pretty funny and creative.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

My ds plays with Barbies wearing a tiara and carrying his fairy wand. I think it's adorable.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Haha! That is so true!

Quoting jconney80:

I don't see anything wrong with it!

I think it's pretty funny to get upset over it. It's especially funny if the kids of the parent who sees a problem with it goes to preschool or daycare. Pretty much every day care and preschool has dolls and dress up clothes for all of the kids to play with LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM
I feel the exact same way.

Quoting larissalarie:

I think any person who has an issue with a little boy playing with a doll or any other "girl" toy is showing their OWN insecurity, in life and with their sexuality.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM
I agree

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Ugh! People are so dumb! Of course there's nothing wrong with a boy playing with a doll. Kids, boys and girls alike, go through roll playing phases where they pretend to be grown ups, that's what playing house is all about. Guess what, he's practicing his daddy skills! Anyone who has a problem with that can F off as far as I'm concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM

When I was expecting, we purchased DS1 a stuffed male doll in anticipation of his new sibling...

He's now 25 months old and sleeps with his "brother doll."

littlelambe2
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM

While my brother didn't have his own doll, he played "house" and barbies with me a lot. In fact, he would often request to play barbies! Haha. Me and my sister would dress him up in our fancy dresses and do his hair sometimes. Now he's as manly as a man could be and has his own wife and child. Just because a boy plays with some girl things doesn't make him gay, or any less of a man IMO. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)