Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Choosing your child's doctor

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:25 AM
  • 30 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you content with your children's medical care providers?

Options:

Yes. No problems.

No, but we're staying with her/him

No. We're looking for another one.

Other.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 41

View Results

How many doctors did you go to before you were happy with your child's provider?

I like the woman we're seeing now, but her office is so poorly run.  In the last two years they haven't returned numerous calls, complained about me wanting copies of my child's records, told me to go to ER because the doc was taking an afternoon off, don't answer the phone during business hours, etc. 

We're also seeing a Naturopath in the next town over, but I'm not completely sold on her.  She at least returns my calls, though!

I feel like it's important to have a primary provider, but I'm just not 100% committed to the folks we've seen so far...

Are you happy with your child's doctor?  How many did you have to go to before you decided on one?

by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 17, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I found one I like but they are over an hour away. So we go to a dr that is close by. We only go in if the kids are sick and need to be seen. 

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:30 AM
My husband is in the army. We don't get a choice really.

I'm looking into going to a DO 45 min away from where we are moving to though. I'm not a fan of arguing with the army doctors every time we go in and there is no real consistency, we see whoever is available.

I don't do we'll baby visits though, so it hasn't been a big deal, but then I have to argue with them about that too if my kids get sick, along with the vaccine argument.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:07 AM

We have been with our pediatrician since our first child was born. When he was born we fully vaccinated. We have since stopped all vaccinations and haven't had any problems with them saying anything negative or positive. They just say okay and move on. However I am curious to see how they'll react when the new baby comes.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM
I love my naturopathic ped! I interviewed three other peds before I found him and they were all assholes. One even kicked me out of her office and told me no one would work with us before I finished asking my questions! I knew I wanted to use an nd also, but once I met with him I knew I needed to make him my primary and refer out to mds if needed. I'm so happy with him, he listens, is helpful, is not condescending at all, has similar thinking, and is willing to look things up for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM
We've had a few different pediatricians over the years due to moving around. I was fine with all of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

We've seen three different pediatricians and they've all been horrible.

I just interviewed a naturopath a few days ago and loved him so I think we're going to start seeing him.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Im not 100% happy with them BUT they are the best in the area so we are sticking with them

littlelambe2
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Or family doctor is 12 mins away. And we ran into him by fluke. I was getting my care from a female ARNP and when I got pregnant, I obviously had to switch providers. She mentioned that they had someone in the practice who delivers babies, so I set up prenatal appointments with him. I had an awesome experience with pregnancy, labor, and birth, and automatically had my baby see him in the hospital for pediatric care. He has been awesome with our families choices, and he's an evidence based doctor who respects our decisions. Dh started seeing him after our first was born because he liked him, too. And so, now we all have a family doctor we love. We've been with him for almost 4 years, now. I'm very thankful and feel very blessed. 

Magnolia7
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I had the best pedi for my first son - very AP friendly, even brought up co-sleeping in a positive manner at the first visit.  Then we moved :( 

Had a terrible pedi for a while, then moved on to a new practice.  They're ok.  I feel like I know enough medically that I can live with a less than optimal ped.  But I really question the value of going very often, esp as I decline most meds and all vaxs.  I wish we had a naturopath around here.

melindabelcher
by mel on May. 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM
unfortunately I think my children have to see their primary care on a regular basis. We really haven't had many issues and have had a really good and trusting relationship until recently with the threatening dss over low weight gain. We are currently on the hunt. I found one that I'm going to schedule apts with but hes booking into aug as of last week.
We see a naturopath but it's all out of pocket which we can't afford and ma doesn't recognize them as a primary care dr :/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)