Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

"inside voice"

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM
  • 10 Replies

Any ideas on how to teach a 2 year old to whisper or use a quiet "inside voice" when he won't imitate me doing it?

by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Just keep asking. Lol. My dd is very excitable and can get loud. I just try to let her e crazy when its appropriate and tell when it isn't. It has taken a while but she just turned 3 and is pretty good about it now.
Seabreeze9
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM
My daughter is younger but we have started a game that I'm hoping will help with that. We play loud/quiet tall/small. Basically we sit on the floor and we get down and be small and we make quiet noises then we alternate with tall where we stand up as tall as we can and make loud noises. Followed by tickles and repeat.

She is picking up on quiet and loud and its a fun game. In restaurants we play small and quiet but once we are outside we do tall and loud.
nicenround
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Ha I struggle with this too. I'd say just find a way to make it fun for him. Like who can whisper the quietest. Start at normal and then get quieter and quieter. But I'm right in the throws of it with you, so hopefully more people will have suggestions.
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Lol I have no advice. My son has Aspergers. He doesn't understand this at 3. I use social stories to try to teach it and he's getting better but he will still whisper loudly when he's supposed to be quiet lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Its very hard at 2, but you can keep trying over and overand eventually he will understand

larissalarie
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Idk, this isn't something we've ever had a problem with...bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Step one for us has always been.. playing games using 'inside voice' and 'outside voice' to first teach our child the difference. It is hardly fair to fuss/punish a child for using a loud voice when the child is so young and has not yet been taught the difference between the two voices and which are appropriate in which circumstances.. KWIM?

Then.. I use my 'inside voice' to remind my child to use theirs. And while others might not agree with this technique, this has worked well for all four of mine.. when it is a young toddler just learning inside vs outside voice, I pretend I cannot hear loud indoor talking (using the term 'pretend' loosely because loud voices really are difficult for me to understand).. :o)

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Super helpful, thanks!

Last week he was looking at a book in church and very loudly saying "cow, pig, goat" during the sermon lol

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Step one for us has always been.. playing games using 'inside voice' and 'outside voice' to first teach our child the difference. It is hardly fair to fuss/punish a child for using a loud voice when the child is so young and has not yet been taught the difference between the two voices and which are appropriate in which circumstances.. KWIM?

Then.. I use my 'inside voice' to remind my child to use theirs. And while others might not agree with this technique, this has worked well for all four of mine.. when it is a young toddler just learning inside vs outside voice, I pretend I cannot hear loud indoor talking (using the term 'pretend' loosely because loud voices really are difficult for me to understand).. :o)

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Great idea! We'll definitely try this :)

Quoting Seabreeze9:

My daughter is younger but we have started a game that I'm hoping will help with that. We play loud/quiet tall/small. Basically we sit on the floor and we get down and be small and we make quiet noises then we alternate with tall where we stand up as tall as we can and make loud noises. Followed by tickles and repeat.

She is picking up on quiet and loud and its a fun game. In restaurants we play small and quiet but once we are outside we do tall and loud.

hapababies
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM
I'm going through this also with 2 crazy, loud, toddler boys. The thing that I have found to work the best is to not yell "inside voice" when they aren't using theirs, just so that I can be heard. I've made that mistake a few times, lol. I've also learned that when they are getting crazy and loud, I get down on their level, make eye contact, and let them know that they are being too loud inside the house. Now that it's getting warm out, finally!, they can get their energy out outside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)