Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

There's an alternative to shampooing?? Tell me more!!

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM
  • 19 Replies

I was hearing about the no poo or alternatives to shampoo... my hair is very dry and grows very slowly.. i know I shouldn't shampoo too often but never heard of any alternatives.. 

Please share any alternatives to shampoo and conditioner.. or shower soap.. :) 

by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catholicmamamia
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Alternatives.. baking soda to cleanse, vinegar to condition, coconut oil as a leave-in!

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

AllNaturalFTM
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM
I let my hair go for about 2 Weeks to let all the natural oils return top their cycle, and I just rinse with water and scrub my scalp rinse again about once a week and never have greasy hair or anything. Once you find out your fairs natural oily cycle its pretty easy.found out the first tine I had dreads. Also love the basking soda and vinegar. Olive oil is great once a month if you have a dry scalp, dander etc
wolfybaby
by on May. 20, 2013 at 1:44 AM
if i wash my hair without shampoo, its oily..even as soon as it dries. How to avoid that??
May-mom
by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:25 AM
You could do CO washing (conditioner only) massage conditioner into your hair, let it sit for several minutes and then rinse. Your hair gets cleaned and it's nice and soft and manageable.
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM

I love No Poo:) I did the baking soda for shampoo and acv for conditioner for several months. I have hard water though so it did not work great. Then I found the best "shampoo" bar in the whole world! VT emu oil shampoo bar , its just saponified oils and EOs of rosemary and mint. Still use braggs acv for conditioner. my hair is soft and curly naturally, I <3 it!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on May. 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM

mix baking soda with water to wash.  Apple cidar vinegar for conditioner and coconul oil (just a little) to leave in.

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Shampoo strips oils out of your hair, causing it to overproduce. So there's a transition period as your hair/scalp relearns how much oil to produce. It can last a few weeks to a few months.

Quoting wolfybaby:

if i wash my hair without shampoo, its oily..even as soon as it dries. How to avoid that??

wenDmommy
by on May. 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM

ok cool thanks ladies!

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Does the coconut oil work as a detangler?

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Alternatives.. baking soda to cleanse, vinegar to condition, coconut oil as a leave-in!

jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I've done it but didn't stick with it long enough! I know a lot of moms who have had good results!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)