Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Is it possible...?

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM
  • 27 Replies

Is it possible to still have a natural labor/delivery if you get diagnosed with GD? I'm on the brink of being diagnosed (long story) at 33 weeks. I'm feeling very defeated at the moment. I did the an A1C, the 1 hour and now onto week 2 of finger sticks because something wasn't "right". I followed my intuition to try and get answers and it seems like the ob I'm seeing for my sugars is going to force me out of midwife care regardless (he doesn't like that I naturally measure larger on top of everything else).

Also, is there anyway of knowing if I can go unassited home birth after all this? If I have to transfer away from my mw I'd rather go UA. I don't know if I'm "allowed" though. If I tell my mw that is the route I'm going to take does she have to report me for it? My mind is spinning right now so I can't call her and ask without having my thoughts straightened out.

pregnancy

by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM
I don't know. I had to see an on because I was a vbac but my ob was awesome.

Here's a bump!!
MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM

If you are on the verge of being diabetic, I would be seeing a OB just to be on the safe side, and I would report you if you were going to do an unassisted home birth, to me that is highly dangerous, especially if you are on the verge of being diabetic. 

When you are pregnant and diabetic you are considered high risk. 

I am diabetic, and I have to prick four times a day. It sucks, but it's for your un born child's health.

ballerina.2006
by on May. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
He wants to diagnose me based on 3/20+ bad readings. I could understand if the majority were bad but 3 is hardly a scratch.

I'm just trying to get a feel for my options since I doubt this ob has my best interest in mind based off my 2 5min or less appts.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

If you are on the verge of being diabetic, I would be seeing a OB just to be on the safe side, and I would report you if you were going to do an unassisted home birth, to me that is highly dangerous, especially if you are on the verge of being diabetic. 

I am diabetic, and I have to prick four times a day. It sucks, but it's for your un born child's health.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Find a new ob and see what they say.

Quoting ballerina.2006:

He wants to diagnose me based on 3/20+ bad readings. I could understand if the majority were bad but 3 is hardly a scratch.

I'm just trying to get a feel for my options since I doubt this ob has my best interest in mind based off my 2 5min or less appts.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM
5 moms liked this

Why would you report someone for trying to make the best choice for their child?? UC can be a safe option for many people. This is why moms don't trust each other.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Mrs.Salz
by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it's possible to do a natural birth and possibly UC if you are prepared, but if it were me I wouldn't have an unassisted pregnancy.

Having UCed I wouldn't recommend telling a healthcare professional that's what you're doing. Just go to appointments as usual.

MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Not when you are considered high risk.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Why would you report someone for trying to make the best choice for their child?? UC can be a safe option for many people. This is why moms don't trust each other.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

larissalarie
by on May. 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Of course you can still have a natural birth with GD!
I just found out last week that I most likely have GD this time, it never once crossed my mind that I wouldn't still have a natural birth like the previous 3.
The biggest risk with GD is the baby being especially large. Control your sugar well and that won't be much of an issue, if at all. Unfortunately most moms with GD get induced early for "big baby". Them forcing the body before it's ready is where the problems come in, not the GD.
If you wait to labor when your body is ready, completely naturally, you should be able to deliver baby just fine :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on May. 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Still, having had a successful UC it angers me when people get social services involved in something that isn't their business simply because they have another opinion. Let social services do what it's meant to, use its time and resources to get help to kids in actually dangerous situations.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

MrsKaufold1990
by on May. 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM
And that can be a dangerous situation.

And if cps did their job id believe in it more.

But they barely do their jobs so

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Still, having had a successful UC it angers me when people get social services involved in something that isn't their business simply because they have another opinion. Let social services do what it's meant to, use its time and resources to get help to kids in actually dangerous situations.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN