Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

carseat safety

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM
  • 25 Replies

ok can you guys give me some advice on this. Any info you have.

I hook both my childrens carseats in with seatbelts and use locking clips. SHould i be using something else? And where should the shoulder belts come out? Should they come from above or below the shoulders? Throw in any other safe practises you know as well!

Thanks

by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this
If they rf the straps go below the shoulders.
FF at or slightly above the shoulders.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM

This.. :o) 

Quoting Jenn8604: If they rf the straps go below the shoulders. FF at or slightly above the shoulders.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on May. 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My advice I would add.. do not add 'extras' to the seats.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

isaacsmommy68
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:06 AM

If you have the Latch System in your car you can use that. You use the seatbelt or the Latch. They need to be rear facing until 2 years old. Forward until 40lbs. Booster after that. My son was out of his booster at 9 years old and 100lbs. The rule was when you get out of the car and it is stuck to your butt, you can get out of it. LOL. When you buy the seat all the information should be in the instruction and safety book.

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Latch has weight limits. Also, it is best to rf until the seat is maxed out, as close to 4 as you can get. And then harness until usually about 6 and the child can sit properly in the booster 100% of the time. Most kids need a booster until between 10- 12 when they pass the 5 step test.

Quoting isaacsmommy68:If you have the Latch System in your car you can use that. You use the seatbelt or the Latch. They need to be rear facing until 2 years old. Forward until 40lbs. Booster after that. My son was out of his booster at 9 years old and 100lbs. The rule was when you get out of the car and it is stuck to your butt, you can get out of it. LOL. When you buy the seat all the information should be in the instruction and safety book.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM
2 moms liked this
By locking clips do you mean latch? Do NOT use both seat belts AND latch, it's one or the other. Neither is safer (excluding weight limits), it's about convenience, but it is not safe to use both.

Also, to keep them safest, I agree with ceckyl, keep them rf then harnessed, then high backed to the max, not any minimum. Our children deserve more than minimums!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM
I personally don't like using ages to decide when to turn. My oldest is 5 1/2 and 39 lbs, which means by weight she could still rf in her seat. But I had to turn her a year ago because she's tall. Even though she was Over four I was nervous about it because she's so skinny. She's still got plenty of room to harness in her seat too, and I'm sure she'll be harnessed well passed 6.
But of course she's not built like the average kid, I just wanted to throw an example of why age isn't necessarily a good decided factor.

Quoting ceckyl:

Latch has weight limits. Also, it is best to rf until the seat is maxed out, as close to 4 as you can get. And then harness until usually about 6 and the child can sit properly in the booster 100% of the time. Most kids need a booster until between 10- 12 when they pass the 5 step test.

Quoting isaacsmommy68:If you have the Latch System in your car you can use that. You use the seatbelt or the Latch. They need to be rear facing until 2 years old. Forward until 40lbs. Booster after that. My son was out of his booster at 9 years old and 100lbs. The rule was when you get out of the car and it is stuck to your butt, you can get out of it. LOL. When you buy the seat all the information should be in the instruction and safety book.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I use just the seatbelt and the seatbelt locking clip. I was just wondering if latch was better. mine does have an upper latch system thing and i'm confused about that because i can't find anything on my seat to latch it too. My biggest worry is whether the straps are in the right place. my 1year old rf's and has the strap just above her shoulders and it comes down, and my ff 21/2 year old has them a bit farther above her shoulders since the other option falls below.

I agree i don't do minimums. Sadly i didn't know this info when my first turned 1 and at 1/2 she turned forward :( but i want to be well educated now and KNOW they are safe!

Quoting jellyphish:

By locking clips do you mean latch? Do NOT use both seat belts AND latch, it's one or the other. Neither is safer (excluding weight limits), it's about convenience, but it is not safe to use both.

Also, to keep them safest, I agree with ceckyl, keep them rf then harnessed, then high backed to the max, not any minimum. Our children deserve more than minimums!

Tree-Tree
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Do your belts lock? If they lock there is no reason for locking clips. Rear facing is always at or below the shoulders never above. Ff is at or above the shoulders. Rf to the limits of the convertible car seat harness until at least 4 and 40 and the child must be mature enough to use a booster correctly 100% of the time. This generally happens around age 6.and booster training is very important.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Ok. The rf child's straps need to be adjusted so they are below her shoulders. That way they will keep her in place in case of an accident, instead of letting her slide up.
The ff child's straps are perfect.

The seatbelt and locking clip are great, as long as the seat is level and has no more than one inch give at the belt path.

The top latch, you mean anchor? And for which seat? Not all cars can anchor, if you can't find it check the car manual and will tell you where the anchor is.
Quoting lifeforchrist:

I use just the seatbelt and the seatbelt locking clip. I was just wondering if latch was better. mine does have an upper latch system thing and i'm confused about that because i can't find anything on my seat to latch it too. My biggest worry is whether the straps are in the right place. my 1year old rf's and has the strap just above her shoulders and it comes down, and my ff 21/2 year old has them a bit farther above her shoulders since the other option falls below.

I agree i don't do minimums. Sadly i didn't know this info when my first turned 1 and at 1/2 she turned forward :( but i want to be well educated now and KNOW they are safe!

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)