Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

AROM birth...?

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM
  • 34 Replies

I know I didn't have a "natural" birth since I was induced but I didn't have pitocin, an epi or anything else besides AROM.  How would you "classify" that?  I don't say I had a natural birth but I usually say I had an unmedicated induction and and unmedicated labor and delivery.  That gets kind of cumbersome lol. How would you phrase it? If I know the person doesn't care one way or another I usually say natural.

by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Ok, so if I'm understanding correctly, your only intervention was a rupture of your membranes to get labor going? I would call that a natural birth.
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Honestly, it just depends on who you're asking. You will get some who feel it was not natural in the slightest, and some who feel if was 100% natural.
SadieJames
by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Yes.  I was induced by AROM at 36 weeks due to severe pre e/HELLP etc.  I did not have pitocin etc.  I was forced to labor on my left side the entire time to keep my BP in check and had monitors on me but that was it.

I usually say unmedicated because natural means no interventions...which AROM is an intervention.

Quoting kailu1835:

Ok, so if I'm understanding correctly, your only intervention was a rupture of your membranes to get labor going? I would call that a natural birth.

SadieJames
by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Very true,  I guess I'm kind of struggling a bit.  I had envisioned a natural labor with me in the tub, on the ball etc and in reality I was strapped to a bed on a million monitors and scared.  I did what I could to get as close to what I wanted as I could be but I feel like I sort of fall I to a gray area.

Quoting ceckyl:

Honestly, it just depends on who you're asking. You will get some who feel it was not natural in the slightest, and some who feel if was 100% natural.

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM
True. If you had gone into labor on your own, and then stalled out, and your midwife ruptured your membranes, and then you pushed out your baby, would you call it natural? If it makes you feel more honest, you can say it was 99.9% natural :)

Quoting SadieJames:

Yes.  I was induced by AROM at 36 weeks due to severe pre e/HELLP etc.  I did not have pitocin etc.  I was forced to labor on my left side the entire time to keep my BP in check and had monitors on me but that was it.

I usually say unmedicated because natural means no interventions...which AROM is an intervention.

Quoting kailu1835:

BlessedMammaof2
by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Depends on who your talking too. Most people IRL would consider that a natural birth. Others in the world of CM not so much. I would just leave it at "natural." If people want more details feel free to share them or not. Whatever you decide. I would let "all natural" represent the unmedicated, intervention free births.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM
I also agree that although it wasn't 100% natural it was unmedicated. That's something to be proud of in an environment where people take pain medication for the littlest things. I would say unmedicated birth since that sounds nicer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I like that : ) I just struggle because I wanted to be all natural and I feel like I failed.  It's been 4 months and I still feel kind of sad - BUT dd is healthy and here and I am too so that's what matters.

Quoting kailu1835:

True. If you had gone into labor on your own, and then stalled out, and your midwife ruptured your membranes, and then you pushed out your baby, would you call it natural? If it makes you feel more honest, you can say it was 99.9% natural :)

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting kailu1835:

Precious333
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Unmedicated birth maybe?
SadieJames
by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that's what I'm leaning towards.  I haven't met anyone who had AROM and no pitocin.

Quoting Precious333:

Unmedicated birth maybe?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN