Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Placenta Encapsulation

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 13 Replies

I mentioned in another post doing a PPD emergency kit and lots of you recomended placenta encapsulation. I always thought it was kinda gross so I never considered it before but now I am. I've done some looking into it but I could really use some personal excperiance stories when it comes to actually doing it!

I don't really have the money to have someone else do it if I don't have too so I'd like to hear from anyone who did it themselfs....What was it like? Was it hard to do? Did it make the house stink? Did you use gloves while handleing it?

I know they seem like silly questions but I really would like to know what it's like making them in your own house, yourself! Any tips?

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM
I traded with a friend who did it for me. I know there's a mom who has a very elaborate DIY blog, I don't remember who though. I don't know if she's in this group but I'm pretty sure she's in BIN.

I can tell you it was done at my house whilst I was at the hospital and it did not smell when I came home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:30 PM

My husband is our cook and he agreed to do it for me. He's not easily grossed out though. He just used half because we wanted the other half to plant later. He took it, no gloves, washed it, sliced it up and dehydrated t slowly on a pizza stone in the oven. After it was dried, he took his old coffee grinder and ground it up. I didn't have capsules at first so we kept it in a jar in the fridge and I sprinkled it over my food. Once I gt capsules I did tat part, just scooped it in them and put together. I forgt he was dehydrating it and it smelled SO good to me, I asked him what he was making. Lol  he said s smelled weird to him though. We will be doing it ourselves again but this time we're going to use all but the crd and a small chunk and freeze that for panting. I'm also planning on a raw smoothie right after birth so that much of it won't be encapsulated. Oh and I have the capsules ahead of time this time. Lol

BabyFruit Ticker

3kidz123
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

My big concern I guess is just that we live with my dad right now and I hate to freak him out. lol

The more I look into it the more I feel like I'd be silly not to! I've even willing to do it myself if I have to, but I hope I don't cause blood really freaks me out. I found a kit online that has everything I need to do it. I just have to talk to my doctor, put it in my birth plan, and make sure my hospital knows I'm keeping it. My hospital is pretty natural as far as hospitals go so I doubt they'll care. I allmost always get bad PPD so it will be nice to actually enjoy my new baby :)

Quoting mamabens:

My husband is our cook and he agreed to do it for me. He's not easily grossed out though. He just used half because we wanted the other half to plant later. He took it, no gloves, washed it, sliced it up and dehydrated t slowly on a pizza stone in the oven. After it was dried, he took his old coffee grinder and ground it up. I didn't have capsules at first so we kept it in a jar in the fridge and I sprinkled it over my food. Once I gt capsules I did tat part, just scooped it in them and put together. I forgt he was dehydrating it and it smelled SO good to me, I asked him what he was making. Lol  he said s smelled weird to him though. We will be doing it ourselves again but this time we're going to use all but the crd and a small chunk and freeze that for panting. I'm also planning on a raw smoothie right after birth so that much of it won't be encapsulated. Oh and I have the capsules ahead of time this time. Lol

elisybeth
by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM

What about making a placenta smoothie right after the birth instead of the encapsulation?  Then you will get the effects immediately without the hassle of actually doing it.  I honestly can't imagine doing it myself right after giving birth and trying to get into the newborn/postpartum routine.  I am pregnant with #2 and plan to do the smoothie this time.  My midwife highly recommended it.  

3kidz123
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I don't know anything about the smoothie. How does it work?

I know the pills you take for weeks and they keep you balenced...what affect does the smoothie have and wouldn't it be short lived? I heard of a smoothie and pills but never just the smoothie.

Quoting elisybeth:

What about making a placenta smoothie right after the birth instead of the encapsulation?  Then you will get the effects immediately without the hassle of actually doing it.  I honestly can't imagine doing it myself right after giving birth and trying to get into the newborn/postpartum routine.  I am pregnant with #2 and plan to do the smoothie this time.  My midwife highly recommended it.  

Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I am going to do PE but I will pay someone to do it...it onlly cost $100. =)

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Cindy, cali4niachef, she's in here too. She does professional placental encapsulation and sells DIY encapsution kits. 
Here's her cafemom note detailing how to do it yourself. Here's a link to her DIY placenta kits. 
She's really cool about answering questions too. I love Cindy. She's helped me with coming with a plan of exactly how I'm going to do it at home this time around. :)  

Quoting jellyphish:

I traded with a friend who did it for me. I know there's a mom who has a very elaborate DIY blog, I don't remember who though. I don't know if she's in this group but I'm pretty sure she's in BIN.

I can tell you it was done at my house whilst I was at the hospital and it did not smell when I came home.

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008) & Caidence(2010). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

elisybeth
by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I don't have a recipe right off hand but plan on getting one from my midwife.  I think it is basically orange juice and a bunch of berries.  By putting it in a smoothie you get the raw nutrients immediately after the birth and all in one dose instead of several days after the birth and over an extended period of time.  Also much cheaper!  Encapsulation is great and that is what I did with my first but I assume that you lose some of the nutrients during the dehydration process just like you lose nutrients in some vegetables after cooking.  Most mammels eat their placentas immediately after the birth so I figure doing the same thing but just in smoothie form can't be a bad thing.  

Quoting 3kidz123:

I know the pills you take for weeks and they keep you balenced...what affect does the smoothie have and wouldn't it be short lived? I heard of a smoothie and pills but never just the smoothie.

Quoting elisybeth:

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I did it myself and I followed the blog of the cmer. I you google how to encapsulate your placenta by yourself, or something similar, I think its the first thing to pop up.
3kidz123
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM

That's interesting...gross but interesting. lol

I've tasted some pretty gross things though, some tinctures have a nasty kick to them so it can't be too bad. The idea freaks my hubby out to know end, but I might consider it.

Quoting elisybeth:

I don't have a recipe right off hand but plan on getting one from my midwife.  I think it is basically orange juice and a bunch of berries.  By putting it in a smoothie you get the raw nutrients immediately after the birth and all in one dose instead of several days after the birth and over an extended period of time.  Also much cheaper!  Encapsulation is great and that is what I did with my first but I assume that you lose some of the nutrients during the dehydration process just like you lose nutrients in some vegetables after cooking.  Most mammels eat their placentas immediately after the birth so I figure doing the same thing but just in smoothie form can't be a bad thing.  

Quoting 3kidz123:

Quoting elisybeth:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)