Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

So Excited! Need CD advice!

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
  • 20 Replies
So another post got me thinking (and complaining lol) about how much I've been spending on decent sposies. My DH was previously against CDs because of a nasty encounter we had. Well he finally listened and said fine lets give it a try for a month and go from there! Is it silly I'm so excited!? I've decided to go with the pocket inserts so I have three main questions but any and ALL advice is awesome.

What are your favorite brands?

What is your favorite insert fabric?

What do you use as detergent?

Also I have about $100 to get started so I was thinking of going with pre-owned, thoughts on this?
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katherinemcp
by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:55 AM
I love BumGenius 4.0's. I'm completely loyal to Cottonbabies, lol! Right now they are still doing buy 4 get a 5th free, but that would eat up your entire budget. Maybe consider an economical choice like Flips! My 20 month old pees through the regular microfiber inserts in the BG 4.0's. She wears BG Flips with the organic flip insert or econobum prefolds.

I'd recommend snaps. They hold up better and if cd-ing doesn't work out for you, I generally feel that snaps hold resale value better. I've never had a problem buying preowned or seconds. Clothdiapertrader.com is a great site.

I use the regular BG detergent and I use bac-out, which technically voids some warranties so you need to be aware of that. GL!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katherinemcp
by on May. 25, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Websites like Zullily often have Charlie Banana diapers for a decent price too! Their inserts are super thick and absorbent.

Quoting katherinemcp:

I love BumGenius 4.0's. I'm completely loyal to Cottonbabies, lol! Right now they are still doing buy 4 get a 5th free, but that would eat up your entire budget. Maybe consider an economical choice like Flips! My 20 month old pees through the regular microfiber inserts in the BG 4.0's. She wears BG Flips with the organic flip insert or econobum prefolds.

I'd recommend snaps. They hold up better and if cd-ing doesn't work out for you, I generally feel that snaps hold resale value better. I've never had a problem buying preowned or seconds. Clothdiapertrader.com is a great site.

I use the regular BG detergent and I use bac-out, which technically voids some warranties so you need to be aware of that. GL!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Thanks! BG is actually where I've been leaning, I was able to go over start up cost with my DH and he agreed to spending more. I've been on cottonbabies all morning lol.

Quoting katherinemcp:

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I'll watch for them, thanks.

Quoting katherinemcp:

Websites like Zullily often have Charlie Banana diapers for a decent price too! Their inserts are super thick and absorbent.

Quoting katherinemcp:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

We use tide free powder becasue we have hard water.  I like gogreen champs, kawaii, alva baby.  Co-ops are the cheapest way to go honestly.  I like bamboo inserts.

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I was just going to ask about the hard water issue. Is that detergent the best way to avoid build up from the get go?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

We use tide free powder becasue we have hard water.  I like gogreen champs, kawaii, alva baby.  Co-ops are the cheapest way to go honestly.  I like bamboo inserts.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on May. 25, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

For commercial I like Bumgenius but most of my stash is wahm. I love ai2's. I use Tide powder because it's the only hting that works with my hard water. You can buy used. Also cottonbabies always have specials on Bumgenius. They usually have buy 5 get 1 free. 

BlessedMammaof2
by on May. 25, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Favorite pocket diapers are Rumaprooz and second favorite are Applecheeks followed by Bumgenius 4.0's. Favorite and most absorbent inserts are bamboo. Second favorite being hemp. I rarely use microfiber. I like GroVia Bamboo prefolds and Rumparooz bamboo or hemp inserts. I have used a number of different detergents but had the best experience with tide original (liquid).
hapababies
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Personally, I would avoid Charlie banana, I have one and it's not holding up well. I have mostly bum genius, they are almost 2 years old and they are hardly showing wear and tear.
I use the bum genius detergent, but if you can get a hold of Country Save detergent, they are have the same chemical make up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on May. 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Quoting LaideBug:

I was just going to ask about the hard water issue. Is that detergent the best way to avoid build up from the get go?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

That along with some calgon water softener is whats helped us, we still have to strip them every once in a while but not nearly as much
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)