Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Hormonal Birth Control

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM
  • 65 Replies
Would any of you use it? After this baby I'm wanting to prevent for a few years so we can maybe buy a house, and just get more permanently settled in general before continuing our family.

I'm planning to get the shot you take every three months (Depo Provera?) because it seems convenient and I don't have to get anything inside my uterus, just because that scares me a little. I'm super fertile, so NFP sounds too risky for me, and I'm just not sure what to do. I don't want to screw up my body, but I don't want a pregnancy scare every single month. My period came back two months pp even though I was bf. Thoughts?
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I hated depo.  It was hell for me.  I bled and bled and bled when I came off it too.  What about Implanon? If it doesn't agree with you they can just take it out vs the depo having to wear off.

Annettey19
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Oh dear.. the bleeding was what I hoped to avoid. Implanon could work, but is there a chance of it getting lost in your arm? The idea of that freaks me out.

Quoting SadieJames:

I hated depo.  It was hell for me.  I bled and bled and bled when I came off it too.  What about Implanon? If it doesn't agree with you they can just take it out vs the depo having to wear off.

SadieJames
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM

From what I understand its just subdermal so no, it might migrate a bit but you'd be able to feel it. 

I can't stress enough how bad depo was, for me.  About 30 minutes after I go it I started to feel bad and it took months for it to wear off.  There is no way to "undo" it either so you're really stuck kwim?

Quoting Annettey19:

Oh dear.. the bleeding was what I hoped to avoid. Implanon could work, but is there a chance of it getting lost in your arm? The idea of that freaks me out.

Quoting SadieJames:

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm super fertile too, but we use NFP and condoms (during my fertile time) and we've never gotten pregnant when we didn't want to.  We've been using NFP for the past 7 1/2 years.

I was on hormonal birth control pills for 5 years before getting pregnant with our first, and 6 months after (the mini pill).  After we started using NFP I realized how much they affected me, and how much saner I was off of them. 

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Annettey19
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Okay, that doesn't sound too bad then. Do they stitch you up? Does it leave a scar?

That's horrible. I wouldn't want to be stuck with that for months, especially bleeding. Periods are plenty for me. I don't need it to be constant.

Quoting SadieJames:

From what I understand its just subdermal so no, it might migrate a bit but you'd be able to feel it. 

I can't stress enough how bad depo was, for me.  About 30 minutes after I go it I started to feel bad and it took months for it to wear off.  There is no way to "undo" it either so you're really stuck kwim?

Quoting Annettey19:

Quoting SadieJames:

SadieJames
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM

No early I have no idea : ) DH is deployed so no BC here.  

It was bad. Very bad.  I know a lot of women have similar reactions to it too...

Quoting Annettey19:

Okay, that doesn't sound too bad then. Do they stitch you up? Does it leave a scar?

That's horrible. I wouldn't want to be stuck with that for months, especially bleeding. Periods are plenty for me. I don't need it to be constant.

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting Annettey19:

Quoting SadieJames:

Annettey19
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Did the hormones make you more stressed or depressed? I deal with that sometimes and don't need it added to! :)

Do you use a thermometer and all when you do NFP, or if your cycles are regular can you just go off that and figure out what days you're fertile? I'm new to this I guess. My sister got pregnant while doing it twice, but I don't know if they used condoms.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I'm super fertile too, but we use NFP and condoms (during my fertile time) and we've never gotten pregnant when we didn't want to.  We've been using NFP for the past 7 1/2 years.

I was on hormonal birth control pills for 5 years before getting pregnant with our first, and 6 months after (the mini pill).  After we started using NFP I realized how much they affected me, and how much saner I was off of them. 

Annettey19
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Aww. I bet you miss him. I hope he gets home safe. :)

That's why hormonal makes me nervous. I know there's tons of problems that can come from it. I'm 20, but I've never had to think about it before, so now it's tough for me to decide, because it's so unknown. I can't wait to have a house and then I can stop worrying about it! It's just because if we end up needing to be in an apartment, a bunch of kids might feel cooped up, and it could get expensive if laws say we have to get a three bedroom. (Grandma lives with us so that counts as another adult).

Quoting SadieJames:

No early I have no idea : ) DH is deployed so no BC here.  

It was bad. Very bad.  I know a lot of women have similar reactions to it too...

Quoting Annettey19:

Quoting SadieJames:

Quoting Annettey19:

Quoting SadieJames:

SadieJames
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I do! Thanks : ) only 6 more months.

ive never used it but I like the idea of the implanon since if you don't like it then they can remove it quickly and it's not in your uterus so no chance of migrating and causing problems later like an IUD.  What about the nuva ring? I had it after depo and LOVED it!  

Quoting Annettey19:

Aww. I bet you miss him. I hope he gets home safe. :)

That's why hormonal makes me nervous. I know there's tons of problems that can come from it. I'm 20, but I've never had to think about it before, so now it's tough for me to decide, because it's so unknown. I can't wait to have a house and then I can stop worrying about it! It's just because if we end up needing to be in an apartment, a bunch of kids might feel cooped up, and it could get expensive if laws say we have to get a three bedroom. (Grandma lives with us so that counts as another adult).

SadieJames
by on May. 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Get the book taking charge of your fertility!

Quoting Annettey19:

Did the hormones make you more stressed or depressed? I deal with that sometimes and don't need it added to! :)

Do you use a thermometer and all when you do NFP, or if your cycles are regular can you just go off that and figure out what days you're fertile? I'm new to this I guess. My sister got pregnant while doing it twice, but I don't know if they used condoms.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)