Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Advise on natural family planning after the baby?

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 12 Replies

We don't want another but we aren't sure we are done for good. I don't want hormonal BC because I don't want to be messing with my hormones after birth since I get bad PPD. Condoms are good but expensive to use every single time since we do it often. lol

Anyone here who does NFP that could give me some tips or opinions?

by on May. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I definitely suggest reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

I have it super easy. My cycles are literally like clockwork and I got AF back after both kids 2 months postpartum despite EBF. I didn't chart and temp. or anything of that nature. Just was careful or refrained during fertile times. Worked for us since my eldest was born 6+ years ago.

mrs.hartman12
by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Really get to know your body and practice self control. You can not cheat in your fertile time even by a day. Sperm lives way longer in your fertile time then the rest of the month. It can live 7-10 days in the right conditions. VCF is a great barrier method to use for back up, we will be doing that after this baby is born. It is mess free. 

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Vcf?

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Really get to know your body and practice self control. You can not cheat in your fertile time even by a day. Sperm lives way longer in your fertile time then the rest of the month. It can live 7-10 days in the right conditions. VCF is a great barrier method to use for back up, we will be doing that after this baby is born. It is mess free. 

larissalarie
by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Vaginal contraceptive film. You can buy it at the store, right by condoms.

Quoting ceckyl:

Vcf?

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Woah. Is it affective?

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting ceckyl:

Vcf?

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

larissalarie
by on May. 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
It's among the less effective forms of birth control like in the 75-80% I think from what I remember. I never got pregnant when I used it, but I was having hormonal issues that made me not terribly fertile at the time, lol.

If I were using NPF and KNEW I was fertile and wanted to have sex, I'd not trust it. Maybe it combined with a condom, you'd have to check and see if that was ok to use with a condom since that's not always ok. I would use it as back up during non-fertile times as extra precaution though.
Quoting ceckyl:

Woah. Is it affective?

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting ceckyl:

Vcf?

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I love the book  The Art of Natural Family Planning  by  CCL 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

AtiFreeFalls
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I have found conflicting efficacy rates for VCF (and all spermicides for that matter).  In America the rates are published as being between 60 and 80%.  In Canada and the UK they are published as being 96%.  The VCF insert even says VCF is 96% effective. 

For a while we couldn't find a single acceptable BC method.  We ended up relying on VCF and didn't have any problems.  I guess just decide which efficacy rates you want to trust *shrug*.

I second the suggestion to read Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  Amazing resource.

3kidz123
by on May. 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I like the freadom of permanent BC but we just aren't ready to be done for sure yet. Right not we are thinking condoms because we are very fertile together and other than right after my period I don't trust my cycle. lol

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

I have found conflicting efficacy rates for VCF (and all spermicides for that matter).  In America the rates are published as being between 60 and 80%.  In Canada and the UK they are published as being 96%.  The VCF insert even says VCF is 96% effective. 

For a while we couldn't find a single acceptable BC method.  We ended up relying on VCF and didn't have any problems.  I guess just decide which efficacy rates you want to trust *shrug*.

I second the suggestion to read Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  Amazing resource.

AtiFreeFalls
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Right there with you on all of that lol.  We use condoms right now because VCF takes 15 minutes to be effective and we are busy parents.  Ain't nobody got time for that! lol

You might find that you trust your cycle more after reading up on FAM (the book I recommended).  After charting a few times I realized that while I don't ovulate at the same time every month I do have clear signals for when ovulation has already taken place.  Once I have confirmed that I've already ovulated I feel safe having sex sans condoms/VCF.  It helps save on barrier methods lol.

Quoting 3kidz123:

I like the freadom of permanent BC but we just aren't ready to be done for sure yet. Right not we are thinking condoms because we are very fertile together and other than right after my period I don't trust my cycle. lol

Quoting AtiFreeFalls:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN