Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How the heck do I discipline an 18 month old??

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 4 Replies

My daughter is 18 months old and is getting into everything.  I am pretty laid back and don't want to be one of those moms that is yelling at their kids all of the time but she does things that are dangerous.  For example she plays with the oven knobs, bangs windows with spoons, and terrorizes the cats.  I am pregnant with baby #2 and she has recently started kicking me a lot when we are cuddling together.  I tell her "no kicking" and she stops for a second and then laughs and starts again.  I say "no kicking that hurts mama" and either move her away from me or I get up completely and she laughs in my face.  How do I discipline her and make her listen to things that she truly cannot do?  Thanks!

by on May. 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
larissalarie
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:41 PM
5 moms liked this
You firmly, calmly, & consistently correct her. Redirecting her attention is great if that works, but my kids usually had a pretty onetrack mind when they were in that mode.
Baby proof the oven knobs if you can, but otherwise you physically stop her from doing it. If she's messing with the knobs or banging the window, tell her "No." In a stern voice. When she continues, walk over there and tell her "No, don't hit the window" then pick her up and move her away. She'll probably have a fit, ignore that. Then she'll go right back to it. You keep repeating the procedure, say no and remove her from it. There's a good chance you'll repeat this over & over for 10, 20, 30 minutes before she finally stops. It's exhausting, yes, but once you start a battle you HAVE to follow through to teach them that when you say "no" you mean it. Following through a few times and then giving up teaches her that if she persists, she gets her way. If she hits or kicks YOU, simply walk away until she can be nice. Later you can talk about nice ways she CAN touch you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I couldn't agree more:)

Quoting larissalarie:

You firmly, calmly, & consistently correct her. Redirecting her attention is great if that works, but my kids usually had a pretty onetrack mind when they were in that mode.
Baby proof the oven knobs if you can, but otherwise you physically stop her from doing it. If she's messing with the knobs or banging the window, tell her "No." In a stern voice. When she continues, walk over there and tell her "No, don't hit the window" then pick her up and move her away. She'll probably have a fit, ignore that. Then she'll go right back to it. You keep repeating the procedure, say no and remove her from it. There's a good chance you'll repeat this over & over for 10, 20, 30 minutes before she finally stops. It's exhausting, yes, but once you start a battle you HAVE to follow through to teach them that when you say "no" you mean it. Following through a few times and then giving up teaches her that if she persists, she gets her way. If she hits or kicks YOU, simply walk away until she can be nice. Later you can talk about nice ways she CAN touch you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Annettey19
by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I second what Larissa said. Baby proof the stove and put spoons out of her reach. The fewer rules you have to constantly be enforcing, the fewer battles you'll have.

Also take her outside maybe. My son calms down a lot when he's outside and more free to tear grass, bang shovels on stuff, watch the birds, etc. It seems to get the destructive energy out. :) And since your daughter's a little older than mine, she might like the park too.
jconney80
by Group Mod on May. 28, 2013 at 12:58 AM
While Larissa's suggestions work for some kids it doesn't work for all kids. I'm not saying anything is wrong with it but every kid learns differently.

I personally try to figure my kid out. How do they learn? What works for them?

At this age I distract and redirect as much as possible. I do tell my kids not to do something or teach WHY they shouldn't do it. Then I remove them from the situation.

I used to fight everything from the beginning to end with my oldest child. Well, it never ever worked and it still doesn't. I pick and choose what is a battle worth fighting. Not everything should be a power struggle. There are many factors to look at. If they are being curious and don't understand then take the opportunity to teach. If they are tired, cranky, and doing things on purpose chances are they need a change of scenery or a nap or snack.

I didn't start really giving my son consequences until he was 2. He just didn't get it before that. After he was 2 hubby and I used the Boba as a sort of timeout. He wouldn't stay in timeout if you tried lol. He is now 3 & listens very well. My youngest is 20 months old and she does know what it means to go in the Boba if she isn't listening. But most of the time with her I just teach then redirect. It has worked well so far. And despite what it seems like they don't hate the carrier or being worn now lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN