Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicated hospitals births and switching to homebirth..anyone done it?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 19 Replies

I am convinced that the only way to get a natural unmedicated birth around here IS a homebirth.  I have an awesome CNM and everything.  I have so much trust in my boody, I know that physically I can do this, but I think its a mental hang up.  What in the world can I do to get past the mental block? I cant really visualize my birth at home, not really.  I have tried.  I can see al the different videos and pictures I have seen but my own nope.  Maybe its just not REAL yet?

by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I had Nubian with my first two, then I was induced with my 3rd but threatened death to any nurse who came near me with meds.

Those hospital births traumatized me so bad that I have panic attacks going anywhere near one.

So before we got pregnant with number four I knew we'd be having a homebirth.

I've now had two homebirths and would never go back to a hospital unless we absolutely had to.
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on May. 31, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Ive had 4 augmented epidural and other med laced births, they range from traumatic to decent, but I have panic attacks too.  Its funny my panic is more about AFTER the birth, them taking my sonn for hours telling me it was required and lying to me about his health.  So more than the no meds and no doctors I am wanting the safety of no oe taking my child away from me.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I had Nubian with my first two, then I was induced with my 3rd but threatened death to any nurse who came near me with meds.

Those hospital births traumatized me so bad that I have panic attacks going anywhere near one.

I've now had two homebirths and would never go back to a hospital unless we absolutely had to.

JadeTigr7
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM

With my first they took my son away, wouldn't tell me anything, found out he stopped breathing 6 hours after he was born and was not allowed to see him until 8 hours after.  My husband was given even less info, because at the time we weren't married.

My 2nd the actual delivery was traumatic, and I completely compare that birth to birth rape.

My 3rd it was before the actual active labor that was traumatic.  The 2nd and 3rd are the reason for my panic attacks.   

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Ive had 4 augmented epidural and other med laced births, they range from traumatic to decent, but I have panic attacks too.  Its funny my panic is more about AFTER the birth, them taking my sonn for hours telling me it was required and lying to me about his health.  So more than the no meds and no doctors I am wanting the safety of no oe taking my child away from me.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on May. 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM

My first was what I consider birth rape..my 2nd was healing but still medicated, my 3rd was fie, my 4th was scary t me, BUT after he was born they said his temp was WAY too low, refuse to let me nurse him though he had apgars of 9.  They tok him to the nursery and locked my hubby out which was NOT supposed to happen. They kept him for 4 hours.  I found out later his tempw as .03 too low..thats IT

Quoting JadeTigr7:

With my first they took my son away, wouldn't tell me anything, found out he stopped breathing 6 hours after he was born and was not allowed to see him until 8 hours after.  My husband was given even less info, because at the time we weren't married.

My 2nd the actual delivery was traumatic, and I completely compare that birth to birth rape.

My 3rd it was before the actual active labor that was traumatic.  The 2nd and 3rd are the reason for my panic attacks.   

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

taurusmom88
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I will be doing a homebirth with my next if i have another. My first i had a medicated birth, no pit tho. This one i just had in march was completely natural (not even an iv) and a much better experience, my labor was so fast they didnt have a chance to re look at my birth plan and clamped and cut the cord right away. Plus the room was so full of hospital staff and very hectic, my dh didnt get a chance to be near me while i birthed. Also the process of getting checked out to leave pissed me off. Took forever to leave and they had us stay for 2 days. So its a homebirth next time.
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on May. 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Quoting taurusmom88:

I will be doing a homebirth with my next if i have another. My first i had a medicated birth, no pit tho. This one i just had in march was completely natural (not even an iv) and a much better experience, my labor was so fast they didnt have a chance to re look at my birth plan and clamped and cut the cord right away. Plus the room was so full of hospital staff and very hectic, my dh didnt get a chance to be near me while i birthed. Also the process of getting checked out to leave pissed me off. Took forever to leave and they had us stay for 2 days. So its a homebirth next time.

Hospitals tick me off all the way around lol...They always make me feel like a prisoner and that I have no choices with my own baby
charity987
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:10 AM
My 1st 2 were pit inductions with nubaine for px. Neither baby tolerated it well & I almost ended up with Csections both times. My 3rd was much better - spontaneous labor, intermittent monitoring - but it was still in the hospital. They forced an IV port into my arm, the midwife didn't show up til I was almost ready to push, I was forced to lay down to push, and they hooked me up to pit after delivery without my consent. I decided there wasn't much hope
charity987
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Sorry my phone has a mind of its own.

Anyhow...there wasn't much hope of it getting any better in a hospital. So I decided on a home birth this time. It was the exact experience I was after. I went the UC route, but I wouldn't change anything about it!

Quoting charity987:

My 1st 2 were pit inductions with nubaine for px. Neither baby tolerated it well & I almost ended up with Csections both times. My 3rd was much better - spontaneous labor, intermittent monitoring - but it was still in the hospital. They forced an IV port into my arm, the midwife didn't show up til I was almost ready to push, I was forced to lay down to push, and they hooked me up to pit after delivery without my consent. I decided there wasn't much hope
momma4xover
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I have had- 2 vaginal births, one preterm, and one "overdue" ( 40 weeks and 3 days) induction, then I toyed with idea of homebirth with my 3rd, only to end up with a breech c-section. Then I VBAC'd a wonderful girl in June of 2011... I planned a UBAC with her, but ended up not doing it due to various reasons. I am now 38 & 5 with my planned, midwife attended HBAC... I have been able to visualize my homebirth for a long time, about 4 years... I feel like my last 2 should have been at home also, but sometimes things happen for a reason. Even though I don't know what those reasons are. :)

For me... it just kicked in one day as I laid in the bath and thought about all the reasons I wanted to be home... I talked to my baby and I just KNEW that homebirth was for me and that no matter what, this time- my last baby- I would have him/her the way I felt called to. I can hardly wait for this birth- I am so excited to experience it- I get tingles just thinking about it!

Lynette
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 2:19 PM
My first 2 births were hospital with epidurals. I took a lamaze class both tines, but what a crock.

My last 2 births were home "Hypnobabies" waterbirths. I think I started studing hypno around 7mo, used a home study course. It really helped me work the fears I had and the trama of my 1st hospital birth. I felt confident and in control.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)