Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello, new in some areas, not in others... needing support :)

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi! My name is Tiffany. I have 3 girls and am 6 months pregnant with my first boy. I BF'd 1+ year each child, cloth diaper, etc. So I am very into natural parenting, to include minimal medicating, etc. However, I have never achieved a natural birth 100%. With DD1 my water broke and labor stopped, which was fine except I developed a fever and they had to induce when baby showed signs of stress. With DD2 I delivered without pain meds but was in a hospital and not allowed to move out of the bed and did not handle it very well. With DD3 my water again ruptured and did not progress and was in a foreign country for it, the midwives inserted seaweed and gel and I was able to deliver and move around a lot and really enjoyed the experience of being able to control a lot of my labor. 

All that brings me to my question- what are good resources for pain management techniques? I tend to have very long labors (shortest was 9 hours, others were 32 and 25) What are safe herbs to help with relaxation or labor progression? I am sure I will have a million more questions as time gets closer LOL. 

Tiffany, Married for 10 years, Mother to Kiska(6) and Asha (4) and Mihaila (1.5) and:
baby
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I took bradley method classes and i used a lot of their ideas.

Visualization worked well (like a wave for contractions), understand where you are at during labor (early, active, transition, pushing), sometimes thinking of it as a mountain climb.

Breathing correctly and keeping vocalizations low.

Staying mobile, walking, swaying, using a birthing ball, showers, tubs, back rubs, all helped me through labor....listening to your body is what really helped me!!!

Calcium lactate helps keep mom relaxed.

Snacking during labor helps keep your energy up.

Hmmmmm, what else? I will come back to you if i think of more :)
GoodyBrook
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Keep the food coming!

And look into getting a doula.  Mine was a great source of comfort during my most recent birth...

Out of curiosity, what country did you deliver in?  Sounds like that birth was a better experience than your first two in the USA.  (Sad!). 

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM
That is really interesting about the seaweed and gel! What country was that in?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMili
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I was in germany and yes it was by far the best! I am going to do some research on bradley method, I looked at it with Dd1 but that was 7 years ago. And with my 3rd labor in germany they fed me and it made a big difference so I believe its a good thing!
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

hypnobabies helps alot with natural labors too!

JoJoBean8
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I didn't exactly have a hypnobirth but I used a lot of the techniques they teach and it was great.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Mrs.Salz
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I really really liked Birthing From Within. Lots of unique perspectives on labor, practical methods for coping with labor pain, creative labor prep exercises, etc.

Have you considered hiring a doula?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)