Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I wrong?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:39 PM
  • 31 Replies

Last Friday, my DH came home from my dad's rummage sale and told me I'm "the talk of the town."  This is because LAST YEAR I told an acquaintance that a carseat she had for sale at her rummage sale was expired.  I had also been to my dad's rummage sale earlier in the day, and I let her know that the Infantino Slingrider that she had for sale is recalled.

Is it wrong of me to INFORM people that they're selling dangerous things?

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I'd just pass on purchasing it without commenting on it.  (I don't point out the stains on shirts they're selling or chips in their china, so I wouldn't mention an expiry date on a carseat).

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM
No I think it's smart if you approach it with the right tone. More people need to know these things.
Thank you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MacMamaof5
by Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I agree.  I'd be upset to know that something I bought or sold was expired or recalled.  I wouldn't wish anything bad on anyone and prevention is better than cure...they may come after me later...lol.

Quoting jellyphish:

No I think it's smart if you approach it with the right tone. More people need to know these things.
Thank you.

Ptitchou
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I've purchased expired car seats from garage sales and have disposed of them properly. :)
SadieJames
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:14 AM

No, you weren't wrong.  You may have saved a child from being in it.  Approach in these situations is key though - more flies with honey kwim?

catholicmamamia
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:16 AM
4 moms liked this

Protecting children is never wrong, IMHO. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

kailu1835
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:46 AM
No, that's a good thing. You could be saving a kids life!
polkaspots
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:53 AM
I would have said something in those situations too. I have. I didn't know the people personally, so it wasn't a concern what they thought of me afterwards. Althought they probably did think I was weird since I look like a kid and didn't have any kids wih me, but I had a diaper bag and only looked at kid stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:43 AM
I don't think you're wrong! We have told people at garage sales that they were buying an expired seat (one with the bar). The guy took it back to the person who sold it to him & he threw it away. One less expired seat in the world! I would have bought it & trashed it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Jun. 10, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Honestly if they have an attitude about it that is their own problem since they are choosing to internalize a mistake on their part. I don't think you should worry about it. That's silly for them to be upset over it. Most people are not aware of these things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)