Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

All natural in the hospital

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am 37, almost 38 weeks pregnant. I want an all natural birth. By all natural, I mean I'd rather give birth at home unassisted, but my husband is not for that. That is fine and we have compromised and gone with a midwife in the hospital/midwife area of the hospital. This isn't something that will change but as I approach my due date I'm starting to stress. I want a natural birth. Heck if our midwife doesn't show her face until baby is almost out, I'd be fine with that. :) I have a birth plan wrote up in bullet ed form explaining in explicit detail of what I want and do NOT want. I have shared this with my midwives (they are in a practice of 5 midwives) and all but one are ok with my decisions and have stated they will follow my plan. The ONE midwife I dislike has informed me she is not for ever thing I have chosen, thinks I should be induced (I had a semi quick labor with my first), and is telling me I have to follow protocol. I'm worried she will be the midwife on call?! I'm sure I can just tell her that I don't want her in there and that she needs to get one of the other midwives to come in but I don't want the stress!

Is there anything in particular I can do to assure I have a natural birth? Or am I going to be stuck reminding nurses constantly about what I want? Ie, delayed cord cutting, not vigorously wiping baby, not taking baby to warmer, and only breast feeding? The more I type the more I wish a home birth was right for us this time. Anyone had an all natural, easy, no stress hospital birth? I need some reassurance!

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a natural birth in the hospital with a mw. It was awesome because my mw respected (and even agreed with) my decisions.
Worst case scenerio, the one mw ou don't like is on call, have your husband request someone else. If that can't happen, make sure your husband knows exactly what ou want and has the balls to make sure it happens. Your mw can't force you into an induction or drugs or whatever protocol you "have to" follow. That's ridiculous if you're healthy. SHE works for YOU, not the other way around.
GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:31 PM
I've had 3 natural births in the hospital...with OBs even! I was kind, but firm and confident when I first got there in declining interventions. The first time I must not have come off as sure of myself (and I wasn't) because I did get hassled some by the nurses, but it isn't the end of the world to have to resist some pressuring and stand for what you want. The next two times, I had zero issues at all, but by then I was absolutely completely confident in my choices and had no doubts about my ability to do it naturally.
I think a fast labor should work in your favor (mine have all been fast), they won't have much time to bug you about interventions if shortly after you get there you're pushing!

Definitely speak to one of the other midwives about the problem midwife. Fast labors are no reason for induction (my last 2 labors have been 2 hours), I would decline to work with her any further. If she is on call when labor happens and you go fast, she'll only be there to catch the baby anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiquidLuck
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I've had an all natural hospital birth with an OB specializing in high risk pregnancies, and I plan to have one again this July. The absolute #1 best thing you can do is stay at home for as long as possible. The second best thing is have someone strong willed there to advocate for you. I didn't wait to go in with my first, I went in at 4cm, and it opens a greater window for them to try to talk you into things. Luckily I had the second. I had a wonderful experience and all went smoothly. I don't particularly like all of the OBs in the practice, but I'm not worried about ending up with any of them. You just need to stand your ground. Do you know any of the nurses? That's my biggest worry. Nurses can ruin the experience, but are easier to kick out of your room permanently.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Can you come when.you are pushing? My friend wanted a homebirth, he dh was not onboard, so she waited until she was in late transition, walked in ready to push, had baby five mins later. The next birth was a homebirth, her last birth was a planned uc (dh finally was ok with that).

Another way is to hire a doula.
Sondi7
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you thought about getting a doula? They are great for advocating for you so you don't have to worry about it during labor.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I would have hubby hadle the "bad" midwife is she was to come in the door..just say thats her and hubs handle it from there including making her leave the room.  Make sure to give all nurses copies of your birth plan.  Make sure ANYONE who comes in your room to treat you reads it.

Echo5
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I have had 4 (including twins) all natural in hospital births. Just be firm in your decision and delagate a support person or your hubby to be "the Jerk" If a hospital staff starts to get too much "the jerk" takes the heat and pressure off of you. 

cemcnair
by Courtney on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

I did this ;)
Plus had a good short birth plan and a supportive dh. The nurses barely had time to read the plan, but followed it including delaying cord clamping which I thought might be a problem.
You can do this!
Pepe22
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:59 AM
i had a natural birth in a hospital with midwives. i was worried they would try to pressure me into things. but nothing at all! it was perfect! if your hospital has water birth options i would so go for that! otherwise, do not get induced! just say noo!! i hate unnecessary inductions. just stick to the plan and have someone there (dh?) that also knows your plan and will back you up if your in heavy labor! just relax and let your body do what it was made to do, and dont let nobody convince you to do otherwise! also i highly recommend the book "Natural Hospital Birth (The Best of Both worlds)" by Cynthia Gabriel. THE BEST book ever to prepare you for birth. BEST.
katherinemcp
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM
My third was a natural hospital birth, after our second was an out-of-hospital birth, I swore I'd never set foot in a hospital again (unless medically neccessary of course)- but our insurance changed and we weren't able to come up with the $4000 out of pocket it would have taken to have a home birth- not including any labs and ultrasounds needed. I was devastated that I had to change midwives.

Anyways, the CNMs we went with were all great but I was nervous about what I'd run into with the L&D nurses. To my surprise, they were all supportive of me going naturally and were happy to leave me alone! We had a little issue with the fetal monitoring- I wanted only intermittent dopplar monitoring and they were used to using the wireless system that still had the straps for fetal monitoring. That was annoying but we worked it out. So that part was distracting but overall during the labor they were good and let me do my thing.

The only thing about delivery I wasn't happy at all about was that we were transitioning during shift change and the CNM that was on call- who had been awesome about my labor requests- totally spaced delayed cord clamping! So the MW that came on call when I was about to deliver didn't know. I ended up delivering on my hands and knees and for some reason she got it in her head that she'd have to cut the cord in order to get the baby to me- instead of just handing him to me through my legs and helping me turn over for skin to skin. She was focused on it being important to me that I wanted skin to skin asap. I realized he was on the warmer before I had even turned over and I was SO PISSED! Then all of a sudden she was giving me cord traction and pushing my stomach to deliver the placenta. I was very vocal about not wanting those things but, obviously it was too late. Then I ended up needing pitocin because I was bleeding a lot, something I'm sure I wouldn't have needed if I had gotten the natural third stage of labor I wanted.

I don't want to freak you out- the staff was awesome over all and the CNM was so upset that she had cut the cord when I didn't want it and apologized profusely. What ended up happening was I had discussed my wants for delivery and third stage of labor with the nurses, but they changed shifts and it wasn't reviewed with the CNM before I was ready to deliver. And my assumption was, while in transition and the new nurse was coming on, that it had been discussed.

Long story short is, make sure the nurses are all talking to each other and stress firmly but politely what is really important to you. If you end up being there long enough for a shift change, communicate with your nurses to please review the birth plan again with the nurse coming on, and asign someone (husband or support person) to be in charge of reviewing the birth plan with whoever may be coming on. Make sure that person knows the 'big' issues that you won't want to negotiate on- like delayed cord clamping. My DH knows I want those things but also thought our midwife was going to do it and we should have assigned someone to reiterate certain things when they changed shifts!

Other than that, just try to let go and let your body do what it needs to do. If you are happy with arriving just about ready to push, go with that. But make sure your support person is ready to communicate with staff about what you want- its tough to have to tell them you 'want this and not that' when you are about to push! (:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN