Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

what does natural childbirth mean to you?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM
  • 29 Replies
When I was pregnant with my second son, I made more and more posts on the pregnancy board the closer I got to my due date with questions. I was induced both times and both times I was lucky not to have to have a c-section because of it.
This time around I'm determined not to have to be induced, unless there's a legitimate medical reason, because I was pressured into it both times before.
I almost had an emergency c-section last time, the pain was the most excruciating thing I ever went through (that's right, I still remember) because they used citotec on me, and I'm surprised my husband wanted another baby after I traumatized him with my screaming.
To me, natural childbirth means no medical interventions. Some women chastised me for trying to find a way to make myself go into labor, but I would never do something to harm myself or the baby, I just didn't want drugs and I didn't want to wait so long that put me and the baby at risk for other things.
With more and more women today not going into labor on their own, for genetic, environmental, or whatever reason, what's your opinion? Is it better to take matters into your own hands when mother nature forgets your due date or trust in a doctor?
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Mother nature doesn't forget your due date, EDDs are man made, not nature's expiration date. Baby WILL come when he's ready. This is why inductions often create complications and end up in emergency c/s.

Natural Birth means just that- all natural. No unnatural meds, and no interventions including induction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I've not ever heard of a woman not going into labor on her own, but I've heard of women choosing not to allow themselves the time needed to do so...

An EDD is NOT an expiration date.  :)

And natural steps to induce are still interventions.

SadieJames
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I didn't have a natural birth, for medical reasons.  I was induced by AROM but didn't have anything else. No pitocin, no epi etc.

if you've reached 42 weeks (by edd) I don't, personally, see a reason not to try "natural" inductions (sex, spicy food etc) but I wouldn't do castor oil.  

Really, baby is going to come when he or she is ready!

larissalarie
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Um, women don't "not go into labor in their own" because of nature genetics, etc, omg!
They get induced before their body gets the chance, there's a huge difference. People act like a due date is an expiration date rather than a rough estimation. Those women who "couldn't" go into labor on their own would without a doubt have gone into labor and had the baby at some point even without their doctor intervening. I don't cave or pioneer women walking around pregnant for the rest of their lives, lol.

To me natural is natural. Aka let nature take it's course, don't force it even with "natural" techniques. And obviously no medical interventions once in labor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bad_mama2011
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I would agree with you, but my sister went 2 weeks past her EDD and the placenta was breaking down with no sign of labor, the placenta is only made to take care of the baby for so long. I hear about more and more women never going into labor on their own, I've even heard about women who never agree to induction and their baby dies before it's born.

I'm talking about non-medical ways to help labor come, like walking, there's a spot on your foot that if rubbed a certain way may cause contractions, nipple stimulation, sex (although there's still a debate on that one), certain foods are said to help bring labor, or supplements such as evening primrose oil. I was bashed for even considering taking long walks to help bring on labor, so that's why I asked the question.

Quoting jellyphish:

Mother nature doesn't forget your due date, EDDs are man made, not nature's expiration date. Baby WILL come when he's ready. This is why inductions often create complications and end up in emergency c/s.

Natural Birth means just that- all natural. No unnatural meds, and no interventions including induction.

bad_mama2011
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM

That's why I asked the question, I'm wondering what other people think. What do you mean women choosing not to allow the time? I've heard of labor stalling because of too many people being around, it puts stress and pressure on you, especially if you have other kids around, you're subconsciously worrying about your other offspring.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I've not ever heard of a woman not going into labor on her own, but I've heard of women choosing not to allow themselves the time needed to do so...

An EDD is NOT an expiration date.  :)

And natural steps to induce are still interventions.

bad_mama2011
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I realize that it's not an expiration date, but as I said in another reply, the placenta is only designed to last for so long and some women still don't go into labor. My sister went 2 weeks past her EDD and she told me that the placenta was breaking down to the point that it was grey...ick!

Quoting larissalarie:

Um, women don't "not go into labor in their own" because of nature genetics, etc, omg!
They get induced before their body gets the chance, there's a huge difference. People act like a due date is an expiration date rather than a rough estimation. Those women who "couldn't" go into labor on their own would without a doubt have gone into labor and had the baby at some point even without their doctor intervening. I don't cave or pioneer women walking around pregnant for the rest of their lives, lol.

To me natural is natural. Aka let nature take it's course, don't force it even with "natural" techniques. And obviously no medical interventions once in labor.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Natural childbirth is when mom is free to birth how her body was meant to. It means not interfering with the birth process. In a normal healthy pregnancy, mom and child, there is should be no interventions, it only puts mom and baby at risk. When mom and/or baby are at risk for than interventions are necessary. I had one hospital birth. I Had a drug freee birth until baby was out, but it still was not natural. Being limited because of monitors and such is not natural, breaking water to hurry labor along is nt natural, and laying on yr back pushing is not counterproductive, and vacuums are definitely not natural!

bad_mama2011
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM

That was one of the things I hated most was the monitors during my second induction, I didn't get ANY sleep because I was so uncomfortable and I was exhausted halfway through it. I didn't get an epi (although I was screaming for one near the end), but I had something else to take the edge off, so I could sleep. It didn't really help, I felt good and loopy for a bit, but I would have a contraction just as I was drifting off and it would wake me up again.

The last two hours were the hardest, it felt like somene was trying to tear me apart, I caved and told the nurse I wanted an epi, while they were prepping me for the epi they were having trouble getting a good reading on the baby's heart rate, so the doctor came in and put an internal monitor on him, she said his heart rate was dropping with my contractions and they had to take me to the OR NOW. They rushed me out of the room and left my poor husband standing there without explaining anything to him and said he couldn't come. She checked my cervix again in the OR and said I was fully dilated and I could push, I think it only took like 4 pushes and he was out, my husband almost missed it.

Quoting Precious333:

Natural childbirth is when mom is free to birth how her body was meant to. It means not interfering with the birth process. In a normal healthy pregnancy, mom and child, there is should be no interventions, it only puts mom and baby at risk. When mom and/or baby are at risk for than interventions are necessary. I had one hospital birth. I Had a drug freee birth until baby was out, but it still was not natural. Being limited because of monitors and such is not natural, breaking water to hurry labor along is nt natural, and laying on yr back pushing is not counterproductive, and vacuums are definitely not natural!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok, rectified statement: if healthy, a woman will go into labor when she's ready. :)

Reflexology and acupuncture are fantastic ways to make sure everything is healthy. Like all natural induction methods (sex, walking, whathaveyou), they won't force baby out if baby is not ready. But unlike these methods, reflex and acu balance your body to ensure everything is going well. If you're healthy, nothing happens. If you're imbalanced and that's the reason you're not going into labor, they fix the imbalance and allow your body to do what it needs to be doing. And they help ensure the actual labor and deliver go smoothly too.
I was passed due and showing no signs of labor so I had my acupuncturist friend come over to make sure I was balanced. Apparently I was not, I finally starting havig contractions during our session and gave birth three hours later.

Herbs, oils and castor oil, however, can force you into labor before you're ready and cause problems. Natural substances, yes, but still an unnatural, forced induction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN