Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Judgemental people!

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM
  • 19 Replies

Okay so I do realize that most people don't babywear and are probably not used to seeing an older child worn in a carrier. But I just can't believe how rude people are & it makes me furious!! They need to think about the bigger picture before making nasty comments & judgements of people.

Today we were at the grocery store. My son Markus is almost 3.5 & he is very tall for his age. He has Asperger's & has difficulty processing sensory input so when we are in public he gets very hyperactive because the noise & visual sensory input overstimulates him. He usually sits in the shopping cart where he is more enclosed. Today he asked my hubby to wear him on his back in the Boba (for sensory kids this gives deep pressure on their body that helps them feel more organized). So, we are walking through the store & this woman says "that baby is big enough to walk!!!" very loudly in this disgusted tone! Little did she know that I was his mom & standing right by her. What really made me mad was that he could have heard her & he would know she was talking about him. He's not clueless! Just in general it is rude to be so insensitive to other people's feelings. Yes, others aren't used to seeing bigger kids in carriers but they should THINK before they open their mouths. But the fact that sometimes he is in the carrier due to his difficulties just hurts my heart because people are so hateful and rude. I don't want him to hear something like that. 

This isn't the first instance. A month ago we were at a big theme park/amusement park. We were going into the front office to get a special needs ride pass for autism. Both my hubby & I were wearing a kid. Markus (my son) sometimes falls asleep for his nap in the van on the way to where we are going & we can just easily shift him onto our back to keep his nap going so that he isn't too grouchy. It is handy! I had my 20 month old on my back in the Boba too. This younger girl (I'd say 19-21) is standing where we can look over her shoulder to see her phone. She had a picture of us on her phone!!! She was apparently making fun of the fact that we were both wearing a kid on our back. Now if she was older and had kids I could maybe pass it off as her thinking it was neat or cute & wanting to share with her hubby etc. But the polite thing to do would be ask to take our pic. Obviously, she was trying to make fun of us and post it on Facebook. My husband asked her why our picture was on her phone and she totally lied about it! She said "oh I didn't mean to take your pic" and we replied that she obviously did since she was cropping it!! So, I was pretty upset. I walked away and came back to tell her that she should THINK before making fun of people. My son had his leg braces on and it was obvious something could be wrong with him. So I told her she needs to think before making fun of people because she has no idea what their situation is. For all she knew he could have trouble walking & need to be worn!! (Which he does have trouble walking but usually he isn't worn because of it). 

It just disgusts me the level of ignorance out there. I had to vent. I think it's stupid enough that people make fun of bigger kids in carriers. Mind your own business!!!

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:11 PM

WOW people are RUDE

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

people are rude! I 'm sorry, go ahead and vent all you want!

tyrelsmom
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Oh I would have embarrassed the all living out of that woman. Said something about how he can walk but worked in something about the braces. A little exaggeration is fine with rude people like that, lol. Probably earn some mumbling and a red face. Maybe then they learn to think for two seconds before they speak... Though probably not.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

lol! I told her she should think before making fun of people with disabilities. I said my son is autistic do you think that's funny?? I mean it was obvious something could be or was wrong! She was embarrassed. I hope she thinks before making fun of people again. 

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Oh I would have embarrassed the all living out of that woman. Said something about how he can walk but worked in something about the braces. A little exaggeration is fine with rude people like that, lol. Probably earn some mumbling and a red face. Maybe then they learn to think for two seconds before they speak... Though probably not.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Thanks!

Quoting maddiesmommy5:

people are rude! I 'm sorry, go ahead and vent all you want!

Graceplustwo
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Ignorant!

Quoting jconney80:

lol! I told her she should think before making fun of people with disabilities. I said my son is autistic do you think that's funny?? I mean it was obvious something could be or was wrong! She was embarrassed. I hope she thinks before making fun of people again. 

Quoting tyrelsmom:

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Did you talk to her manager? Her ignorant self needed to be fired!!!

I had an old lady comment the same thing when I wore my son when he was about 2.5. She told him he was a big boy and could walk. I was in such shock that I walked away, and then I got mad at myself for not standing up for us. He was having an overstimulated time and was tired. It was better for him to be on my back, than screaming and running in the store.
Today, he fell asleep on the way to the store. I really contemplated putting him on my back, but he woke up when I unbuckled him.

Quoting jconney80:

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovevh
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Blah! People are so inconsiderate! :(
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I just don't understand people!!!  That makes me so mad Jill!  I love seeing babies being worn no matter what there age or breastfed no matter what there age.  It is so rude and people just don't get the needs of children.  I'm sorry you had to hear her say that.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Yep, it sucks when people stick their noses where they don't belong.  Parenting choices are between Mom and Dad, nobody else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)