Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Please help me, I want to be more natural

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM
  • 17 Replies
But I don't even know where to start looking for information. I just found out everything I use is harmful. I know, I'm stupid for not catching on sooner, but any help would be great.

I want to quit using Johnson and Johnson on my baby, but what should I use instead? I like the way she smells when I use their body wash and lotion.

And what about diaper rash cream? Bug spray? Sun screen?

And what can I do about shampoo and conditioner and soaps?

Laundry and dish detergent?

First aid kit stuff?

I appreciate any information or links you can give me. TIA.
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Wash your baby with water. No soap required. If you don't like that, though, try Castile soap

Breast milk for diaper rashes, or coconut oil. If you use disposable diapers olive oil is also great. First soak sad baby butt in a bath with baking soda and let air dry. Check out the recent post "EOs and bugs" for repellant. And search for recent posts about sunscreen, too.

You can no-poo if you're up to it, that's giving up shampoo and conditioner and washing with baking soda then applecider vinegar rinses. The only product I've found that's mostly natural is lush products. And I LOVE then. I think it's lushusa.com. I use coconut oil for conditioner, a super tiny amount.

Some people make laundry detergent, I do not yet, hopefully someone will add a recipe. Dish soap too.

First aid, I like to carry arnica tablets and tea tree oil.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Try not to get overwhelmed. Cut out one or two products at a time, and do what works. It's a process, I'm still in it lol. Just do what you can. It's not all or nothing, start researching it becomes so much easier and natural :)
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Do what feels comfortable to you and your family. This is a journey, not a race or competition.
You will learn a lot from this group, especially if you do a group search for specific things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ptitchou
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Laundry detergent powder I use: 1 cup washing soda/1 cup borax/1 bar Castile soap sent through food processor. Mix well for 5 minutes or so...scoop by the TBSP into washer as needed.
hapababies
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I used to love the smell of Johnson's and Johnson's soap and lotions, but I quit using them after I researched all the chemicals that they put in there. Did you know that the reason they are "tear free"? It's because they put a chemical in there to numb the eyes, the stinging chemical is still in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this
One blog has a bunch of info. wellnessmama.com. I've used her recipes for baby wipe solution, lotion, powder and oil. I've used both the powder and lotion. I love it. I haven't used it on baby yet as I am waiting for her to come. :)
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I was shocked when I found that out! I couldn't believe I used that on my first baby. I'm so glad I started researching.

Quoting hapababies:

I used to love the smell of Johnson's and Johnson's soap and lotions, but I quit using them after I researched all the chemicals that they put in there. Did you know that the reason they are "tear free"? It's because they put a chemical in there to numb the eyes, the stinging chemical is still in there.
michellefrogs
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Safemama.com is a great resource to get started, as is EWG.org. 

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Laundry Detergent:
1 cup washing soda
1 cup Borax
1 cup oxygen bleach
1 bar soap grated ( Fels Naptha, Dr Bronner's, Kirk's Castile Soap, Zote, ivory)

Mix together
Use 2-4 tbs per load depending on washing machine type and load size

Quoting jellyphish:

Wash your baby with water. No soap required. If you don't like that, though, try Castile soap

Breast milk for diaper rashes, or coconut oil. If you use disposable diapers olive oil is also great. First soak sad baby butt in a bath with baking soda and let air dry. Check out the recent post "EOs and bugs" for repellant. And search for recent posts about sunscreen, too.

You can no-poo if you're up to it, that's giving up shampoo and conditioner and washing with baking soda then applecider vinegar rinses. The only product I've found that's mostly natural is lush products. And I LOVE then. I think it's lushusa.com. I use coconut oil for conditioner, a super tiny amount.

Some people make laundry detergent, I do not yet, hopefully someone will add a recipe. Dish soap too.

First aid, I like to carry arnica tablets and tea tree oil.

AromaDrops33
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM

You need to try Jordan Essentials natural products. They have a baby and kids line that has Shea butters, lotion bars, hand washes, bath and shower gel. ALL of these have zero chemicals and toxins. The main ingredients are oatmeal, jojoba oil, coconut oil, Shea butter, seaweed, and many more. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN