Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hospital Mother/Child rights Rights

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hello, I'm Kathleen, 31 and pregnant with #4 and new to the group.

I am researching my hospital rights because while I enjoy the security of hospital births I dislike staying long after birth.  I find it upsetting to wait around for 24 hours for permission to take my child home.  For the most part I keep them in the room with me, but this time I would like to be gone in 12 if possible.  I opt out of hep b and vitamin K, and am not circumcising. 

Have any of you birthed in a hospital and then gotten vaccines at the pediatrician next day on your own?  Or left AMA without being sent to social serviced?  What information can you give me?  I live in Texas.

Thank you!

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Magnolia7
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Leaving at 24 was a hassle for us. Iwould highly recommend a birth center to avoid that!
mrs.hartman12
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I would talk to your doctor about it. We are refusing the hep b vax, and I have found out from other moms the hospital I am going to will release you same day with your doctors permission. 

ReeseStrickland
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM

There are no practicing midwives in my area, the only options are a hospital or medical college.

Getting my doctor to release me is not an issue, but getting the infant released by the pediatrician has been in the past.  And I am having a hard time finding out what my rights are for overriding her athority.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

If you have permission from your ped and doctor you can leave without any issues.  Many peds are fine with you leaving if you'll bring baby in within 24 hours to their office

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM

All you can do is go AMA then..

Quoting ReeseStrickland:

There are no practicing midwives in my area, the only options are a hospital or medical college.

Getting my doctor to release me is not an issue, but getting the infant released by the pediatrician has been in the past.  And I am having a hard time finding out what my rights are for overriding her athority.

milkmama36
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I had that issue with the pediatrician too. They treated me like I had no idea how too care for a newborn with my last-number three. I found myself arguing and disagreeing with pediatrician so much that we switched too a family doctor. I still feel angry 7 months later at the pediatricians refusal too release her.

Quoting ReeseStrickland:

mrs.hartman12
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Its my understanding that they can not force you to stay, but you would have to sign waivers. The only thing is you risk them calling social services. When interviewing pediatricians I would ask or as someone else suggested get a family doctor. 

Quoting ReeseStrickland:

ReeseStrickland
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Thanks for all the helpful input!

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM
My first I stayed 48hrs.
Second 24
Third 12hrs (she was iugr, and low birth weight.)
The last two were natural minded hospitals which helped
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)