Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Vitamin K shot for newborn?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 24 Replies

I am torn on whether or not to allow the vitamin k injection for my baby when she is born. I asked my doctor about oral vitamin K and she said there is none available in all of North American so my only option is the injection. Is there really none available?! How come I have heard of many woman in North America using vitamin K orally for their baby then? I am having a really hard time making a decision. I don't want to risk my baby having a hemmoraging disease and possibly die but at the same time I don't want to inject something into her right at birth that may be unnecessary or dangerous if she was otherwise healthy.  My doctor is not a very good source of information as she just simply states "it is safe to get the vitamin K shot and is dangerous not to as your baby could possibly die due to brain hemmorage." but she never says why it's safe and couldn't tell me the exact ingredients in the injection. I highly doubt there is JUST vitamin K in there. There has to be some sort of synthetic preservative that couldn't be good to inject directly into my baby?! Anybody have some input on this?  Does anybody have any reliable information on the safety/efficiency of the vitamin K shot?

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
themissheather
by Heather on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM
We skipped it. I don't have a lot of info, but my midwife told me to eat a lot of dark green leafy vegetables before she was born and that would naturally up vitamin K.
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I would definitely keep looking into the Vit K, while also looking for a new dr. Your Dr is using scare tactics and being very disrespectful. You have the right to know everything, and she's brushing you off. I would even go so far as to report her to her supervisors. She is treating you very wrong. 

As for the the Vit K, it's not transferred well via placenta, but it is transferred VERY well via breast. Natural levels peak around day 8 in all newborns. Do you have any family history of bleeding conditions? Does baby have any sign of liver problems? Do you anticipate a forceps, vaccum, or c-section delivery? If not, it's not needed to supplement Vit K. 

The incidence your dr is talking about is called HDN and only occurs in about .25% of all newborns. The injection is over 20,000 times the recommended dose of Vit K. It has been linked to jaundice. 

You can get the oral drops but those have risks too, for example, they ruin the virgin gut, which can be healed by 4 wks of EBF but it will never be the same. The dose is still higher than natural levels so the jaudice link is still there. Also baby's don't take meds ery well, so they may get less than what you give them, no big deal to me. 

lucyblue202
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM

What?! When I asked my doctor about vitamin K and breastmilk she said that vitamin k BARELY passes through breastmilk and wouldn't do anything to prevent hemorraging if it were to become a problem. No, I don't have any of those conditions but I am going to be receiving antibiotics during labor because I am GBS positive. I have read that receiving antibiotics during labor can also up the chances of HDN.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I would definitely keep looking into the Vit K, while also looking for a new dr. Your Dr is using scare tactics and being very disrespectful. You have the right to know everything, and she's brushing you off. I would even go so far as to report her to her supervisors. She is treating you very wrong. 

As for the the Vit K, it's not transferred well via placenta, but it is transferred VERY well via breast. Natural levels peak around day 8 in all newborns. Do you have any family history of bleeding conditions? Does baby have any sign of liver problems? Do you anticipate a forceps, vaccum, or c-section delivery? If not, it's not needed to supplement Vit K. 

The incidence your dr is talking about is called HDN and only occurs in about .25% of all newborns. The injection is over 20,000 times the recommended dose of Vit K. It has been linked to jaundice. 

You can get the oral drops but those have risks too, for example, they ruin the virgin gut, which can be healed by 4 wks of EBF but it will never be the same. The dose is still higher than natural levels so the jaudice link is still there. Also baby's don't take meds ery well, so they may get less than what you give them, no big deal to me. 

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I would still eat a lot of Vit K heavy foods, so that you have stores to transfer but Vit K isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Any antibiotics during pregnancy can increase the risk. BUT antibiotics during labor doesn't affect the outcome of whether or not the baby will have issues with the GSB. Antibiotics during labor are useless for GBS. I would suggest looking into that deeper too. Have you tried fighting your GBS and retesting? I would start doing vaginal garlic treatments, vaginal TTO treatments, along with vaginal and oral probiotics treatments instead of consenting to antibiotics. 

Quoting lucyblue202:

What?! When I asked my doctor about vitamin K and breastmilk she said that vitamin k BARELY passes through breastmilk and wouldn't do anything to prevent hemorraging if it were to become a problem. No, I don't have any of those conditions but I am going to be receiving antibiotics during labor because I am GBS positive. I have read that receiving antibiotics during labor can also up the chances of HDN.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I'm Mary married(since 10-5-08) to Dallen, mommy to Serenity(2008) & Caidence(2010). Christian, SAHM, Full- term breast feeding, Cloth diapering, Vaccinating, Anti-CIO/Sleep-training, Natural birthing, holistic loving, AP, ERF, Bedsharing/co-sleepingresearch-loving kinda mama.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Your doctor has all kinds of bad info..naturally your childs vit K levels will be their highest at 8 days old on their own when BF, I find it totally unnecessary for a child to get the injection unless there is a very traumatic birth, prematurity, or a surgery needed.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM
First... find a new doctor. Yours sounds extremely demeaning and uneducated.

Unless there is some sort of shortage that I am unaware of you can definitely get an oral dose.

We will be skipping the Vit K as long as there are no signs of damage. The shot contains all the same preservatives as other vaccines. We won't vaccinate so that goes against that. Then orally that is not breastmilk and has potential to mess with the virgin gut.

If you will circumcise then it's needed unless you do it around the 8th day where the levels are naturally high.
rjmac88
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I tentatively declined with my son. IF his birth were to be physically traumatic I would have allowed it. But it wasn't so no shots for baby! Lol
kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Find a new Dr.
I didn't do it. My Dr even said unless it's a traumatic birth it isn't needed. She said the chance of a bleed (which is what it is preventing) is the same as the chance of leukemia. So she said it's an equal risk.

But to me wrong dose, wrong route, and pretty much saying God doesn't know what he's doing (he did make the levels after all) is all i needed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM
http://www.birthwithlove.com/categories/itempage.asp?prodid=vitamin+k+1+(vit+k+1+)oral+vit+k

WE used this product and declined the vit. K shot.
taurusmom88
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:09 PM

my midwife said it wasn't necessary when i told her i was going to decline it. she said unless it was a traumatic birth or i was going to circ him before he was 8 days old then there is no need for the vit k shot. and since i didn't circ at all and the birth was not traumatic we didn't give him the shot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)