Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Anyone who uses a menstrual cup

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 14 Replies

I just started trying one out, but so far it hurts a little, like after wearing a tampon too long. Am I putting it in wrong? Did I buy the wrong brand? I bought the Lunette which had great reviews by almost everyone. I really want this to work.

***Also, what do you wash it with? The instructions say to use unscented soap.

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Graceplustwo
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM
I want to try those too. I heard that brand is great as well. Let me know how it works out, I was wondering if they were uncomfortable
danichaos
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM

No, sometimes this happens to me. Take it out, and try tomorrow or the next day. 

Ichthus
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM

BUMP!

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I use instead softcups, so I don't wash them. If I feel any pain I wait a few hours before putting it in again. I usually end up just using my sea sponge. It's just easier for me, especially when I'm away from my bathroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ichthus
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM

What is a sea sponge? I guess I know what it is in a general sense, but how do you use it?

Quoting polkaspots:

I use instead softcups, so I don't wash them. If I feel any pain I wait a few hours before putting it in again. I usually end up just using my sea sponge. It's just easier for me, especially when I'm away from my bathroom.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM
It works exactly like a tampon and the only difference is the shape. Sea sponges are roundish and don't get bigger as time goes on.

Quoting Ichthus:

What is a sea sponge? I guess I know what it is in a general sense, but how do you use it?

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ichthus
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:09 PM

So they're disposable?

Quoting polkaspots:

It works exactly like a tampon and the only difference is the shape. Sea sponges are roundish and don't get bigger as time goes on.

Quoting Ichthus:

Quoting polkaspots:

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM
No. Sorry I didn't think to mention that. I rinse mine thoroughly with water and then I use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect it either at the end of my cycle or the end of the day, I usually only use it for my two heavy days so I only clean it when I'm done with it. If its particularly dirty I'll use castille soap.There are other ways to clean them, but that's what I do. Mine has lasted me about a year so far, but I haven't had that many periods due to breastfeeding and then pregnancy.

Quoting Ichthus:

So they're disposable?

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting Ichthus:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I wash mine with hand soap.
It's going in wrong, you shouldn't feel it at all, except maybe a little poke from the stem which can be trimmed anyway. There's a learning curve. I eventually learned to find out where it goes put it in, make sure it's open and low, then jump and move around a LOT- squats, splits, whatever, then check to see where it has moved, that's where it needs to be. For me, I need to angle it to the left and back a little.
And definitely make sure it's not too high.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM
How does it hurt? The stem really bothered me on mine so I cut it off completely.

I wash mine with regular hand soap that is in the bathroom.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN