Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

In all honesty what are my options?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 10 Replies

Birth options that is...

I'm almost 27 weeks and I wanted a homebirth but we don't have homebirth midwifes where I live. I looked high and low but it's just not a thing here. I found a natural hospital that i do like and they even have a small little birth center in it and I have my first appointment with a midwife in 8 days (I switched over from an OB).

I don't hate the idea of my birth as is but a part of me still longs for that homebirth I wanted and got me wondering if I have a choice here. I've heard of UC but is that a good option?

I live only a 5-10 min drive from 3 hospitals so if something went wrong I'm close enough to get there or I could even call 911. I looked into it a little bit before but it seems kinda risky...what do you think, is a birth center the best I can get or is it still possible to have a homebirth?

(I had a homebirth last time but it was with a midwife)

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM

You can hve an unassisted birth..I believe cafemom has a group for them.  Some of the moms here UC.  If you are healthy, baby is healthy, there is no reason you couldnt UC

3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I'm very healthy and so is baby...pregnancy at this point is 100% problem free, we also live 5-10 min from 3 hospitals if something went wrong.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

You can hve an unassisted birth..I believe cafemom has a group for them.  Some of the moms here UC.  If you are healthy, baby is healthy, there is no reason you couldnt UC

mamabens
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Where are you ? Sometimes. Midwives are hard to find because in some states it's illegal for them to attend homebirths(it is in ky where I live) but there are underground ones you just have to know where to look.

BabyFruit Ticker

3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I live in Syracuse NY and it is legal but no midwife will do one here...not the safest town in the world, delivery guys won't even come where I live :(

I've looked high and low but I con't find anyone to come to Syracuse and if I mention it to the hospital or doctors they scold me on how un-safe it is. It's just not done in my town...but I'm not 100% sure about having this baby not at home.

Quoting mamabens:

Where are you ? Sometimes. Midwives are hard to find because in some states it's illegal for them to attend homebirths(it is in ky where I live) but there are underground ones you just have to know where to look.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM

You can have a UC. Do lots of research so you are ready. Talk to other moms who have UC too. 

conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Is it the Homebirthers group (not too active) or do you know of another one? I am 19 weeks and also thinking about an unassisted homebirth, but not quite sure if I have found the right support group for the next few months. Thanks for any tips!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Mrs.Salz
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM

UC is an option. It can be safe or unsafe depending on your level of knowledge, intutition, preparation, reasoning, health, etc. You don't have a ton of time to prepare though so it would take some intensive study.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM
I believe there is also a group called "birth is normal". I'm not sure how active it is though.

Quoting conejoazul:

Is it the Homebirthers group (not too active) or do you know of another one? I am 19 weeks and also thinking about an unassisted homebirth, but not quite sure if I have found the right support group for the next few months. Thanks for any tips!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfhsure
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:36 AM

I wouldn't do an unnassisted birth, but not because I disagree with then. I wanted a homebirth with my son, (he's my first) but I had complications with my pregnancy.

I think birthing unnassisted is actually really awesome and could be a really cool experience. I think it's fine as long as you are 100 percent confident and you have really done your research. There's definitely a lot of reading up you'll need to do. I would also get in contact with some midwives and maybe get some input on it as well. If you know your stuff, I say go for it. I would like to do a homebirth if i have another child. I don't think I could do it unnassisted though, I just don't have the balls.

ria7
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally I would rather have a baby at the birthing center if I felt confident with the midwife. I had my baby in a hospital but I really trusted my midwife to let me have the birth I wanted. They had lights low, didnt make me get IV, let me get in the shower, eat etc. They just quietly and calmly supported me. Unassisted is an option but I just felt better knowing my midwife was there and was very clear on my wishes. Maybe you should meet with the midwife first and see how you feel about her and see what the policies are at the birthing center before you decide. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)