Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newborns and flu season

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM
  • 14 Replies
So I'm due in November and the baby won't be receiving the flu shot. I'm going to be exclusively breastfeeding so I know baby will receive antibodies from that, but how else can I help the baby not get sick? I know a lot of people at our church will want to touch and hold the baby. Is it better to say no for a few weeks and just have close friends hold it when they come over or in a private setting? How do you take the baby places in a way that people feel like they're invading personal space to touch it? In a carrier or wrap?
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I used a wrap for my medically fragile child until he was one.  I just kindly explained that until cold and flu season was over only family would be holding little man.

kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I would have hand sanitizer in my bag. Everyone had to use it.
They also have things that hang on the car seat that says "do not touch"

http://healthylittleones.com/OnTheGo.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I would wear the baby. Then others can look but it would be really awkward to touch the baby. 

vcory
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:44 PM
I was thinking of hanging that and hand sanitizer from the carrier handle lol I also have a carseat cover that has elastic around it so it's hard to take off.

Quoting kitty8199:

I would have hand sanitizer in my bag. Everyone had to use it.

They also have things that hang on the car seat that says "do not touch"

http://healthylittleones.com/OnTheGo.html

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I've never done anything special or been paranoid about germs, and none of my children haven gotten the flu our anything else even they were new/young babies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Use a wrap or carrier...ask people to use hand sanitizer

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
One of my rules for people I don't know very well is if I don't know their last name, they can't hold my baby. I know a lot of people from church by sight, but I never let them hold my babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I've had two February babies and don't worry about it too much. A wrap is helpful for going out or I ask people to wash their hands before holding the baby.

For yourself, take elderberry syrup and Vitamin D (7000 iu/day or more so it goes into breastmilk).

katherinemcp
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I always wore my babies when out, like pp said, it makes it akward for people to touch. Also, I don't really go anywhere for the first few weeks when they're especially prone to illnesses.

That being said, my third baby is a month old and caught a nasty cold from his siblings. Sometimes it just happens no matter how careful and how much immunities they are receiving through breastmilk. :/
isaacsmommy68
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I didn't go to church for a few weeks. He was a summer baby. If you hold them tight and run out of church after, people will just congratulate you and leave it be. I only had family and close friends come to the house. They all washed their hands. I did have a lady cough in his face at the grocery store. I was appalled! What a cute baby hack hack hack. Really? The look on my face said it all lol. He didn't get sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)