Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Feeling defeated/unsure UC'ing... GBS in urine (PIOG)

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 12 Replies

Had my 36wk appt yesterday with my OB.  I asked about the GBS swab, and she said that they would not be retesting me as I'd tested positive in a urine culture (which they found when I had a UTI early on).  Since it was in my urine, there is a much higher colonization which is not likely to resolve itself or go away permanently (even after being treated with antibiotics at the time of infection). 

I have been planning a UC this entire pregnancy, and very confident in my decision.  I was planning on using a Hibiclens rinse during labor, but now I don't know if that would be enough.  I dread with ever ounce of my being, delivering in a hospital again, but I don't want to risk my baby's health because of my own stubborness.  From what I was reading through last night, a normal GBS + result (from the rectal/vag swab) you would have a 1/200 chance of baby becoming ill to some degree after birth  if you'r not treated with antibiotics (and do not have any other risk factors, such as fever, PROM, prolonged labor, etc...).  But your risk factor jumps to 1/25 if you have risk factors, which includes having GBS found in a urine culture at ANY point in your pregnancy.

So what do I do?  Would the Hibiclens rinse be enough?  Or is it even safe to consider UC'ing at this point?  Part of me is ready to just throw in the towel, but this is something I really wanted to do.  What would you do?  What's the smartest/safest decision at this point?? 

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Bump...I don't have any experience with this but I know there are usually a lot more natural solutions with GBS. Hopefully others have more input. I'm sorry you're going through this though!

BaileysMom9
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Thank you :)  I'm still researching!

Quoting jconney80:

Bump...I don't have any experience with this but I know there are usually a lot more natural solutions with GBS. Hopefully others have more input. I'm sorry you're going through this though!



larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
My last pregnancy, I had it show up in my urine earlier on and they gave me oral antibiotics to treat it then and told me I'd need IV antibiotics during labor and that they wouldn't do the swab because of it being in my urine earlier.
Well knowing my history of fast labors, I asked if I could be put on oral antibiotics the last week or so of my pregnancy to deal with this because having 2 hour labors, I certainly wouldn't have the 4 hours needed to get the IV antibiotics during labor. The doctor shot that idea down immediately and started telling me how even if I didn't get the antibiotics, the risk was only like 1/300 (or maybe it's 200 like you said). He NEVER mentioned that it being in my urine previously raised the risk to 1/25, if he had I probably wouldn't have left the office until I had a prescription in hand, LOL. So I would think if the head of the OB department at a big medical school hospital was so casual about the risk of going without antibiotics in labor, you shouldn't panic too much :-)
And this was before I found CM to know of any natural treatments I could have done myself to help.

So it boils down to: What risks are you comfortable taking with your baby? I honestly wasn't even comfortable with the 1/300 risk to skip the IV antibiotics by choice if I'd had time I would've consented to them, so there's no way I would've willingly taken a 1/25 chance either. Meningitis is too deadly for me to live with myself if the baby got it just because of my desire to be completely natural. I've also had fine experiences giving birth in the hospital, so I'm sure that makes my thoughts on this less valid!

Now if you are comfortable with the risks, then have your UC!! Even 1/25 is a pretty small risk really. And that's only if that is true, I was told 1/300 after having it in my urine. Is it still showing up in your urine now? I suppose if it is, THAT would explain the higher risk number you're getting.
Definitely start doing some of the natural things to treat the infection now, that'll lower the risk even further. And learn the signs of infection in a newborn (not just a fever) so you can take baby to the hospital right away if it would be necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM
I wish i knew :(
BaileysMom9
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Thank you, Larissa.  It's encouraging to hear that your OB was not as concerned about it.  I know your risks go down significantly with a fast labor because baby is exposed for less time.  Water births are also suppose to lower your risk of passing it to baby.  My OB was not the one who told me my chances were 1/25.  That was info I found online (I've since not been able to find other research supporting that).  I am still planning on using the Hibiclens rinse at the onset of labor and again in 4-6 hrs if by some miracle my labor lasts that long lol.  But from what I've researched, Hibiclens in labor is just as effective as IV antibiotics.  And like you said, if you don't get all the antibiotics in time, it doesn't do you any good (my last, I was GBS+ as well and they only had 45 min to get me hooked up and antibiotics administered before baby was born... They pushed 1 bag in and that's all they got). 

I think I just needed some time to think about it.  I was panicked the other day, and having a hard time (bad week in general).  I'm feeling better about it now though.  I do have a list of symptoms to watch for in baby right after birth, and will be sure to monitor him closely for the first 48 hrs, obviously taking him in if ANYTHING seems off. 

I'm also thinking about pushing to get retested at my next appt (I'll be 37w4d), just for my knowledge.  I'll also be upping my probiotics and taking raw garlic to help combat it or at least weaken it. 


Quoting larissalarie:

My last pregnancy, I had it show up in my urine earlier on and they gave me oral antibiotics to treat it then and told me I'd need IV antibiotics during labor and that they wouldn't do the swab because of it being in my urine earlier.
Well knowing my history of fast labors, I asked if I could be put on oral antibiotics the last week or so of my pregnancy to deal with this because having 2 hour labors, I certainly wouldn't have the 4 hours needed to get the IV antibiotics during labor. The doctor shot that idea down immediately and started telling me how even if I didn't get the antibiotics, the risk was only like 1/300 (or maybe it's 200 like you said). He NEVER mentioned that it being in my urine previously raised the risk to 1/25, if he had I probably wouldn't have left the office until I had a prescription in hand, LOL. So I would think if the head of the OB department at a big medical school hospital was so casual about the risk of going without antibiotics in labor, you shouldn't panic too much :-)
And this was before I found CM to know of any natural treatments I could have done myself to help.

So it boils down to: What risks are you comfortable taking with your baby? I honestly wasn't even comfortable with the 1/300 risk to skip the IV antibiotics by choice if I'd had time I would've consented to them, so there's no way I would've willingly taken a 1/25 chance either. Meningitis is too deadly for me to live with myself if the baby got it just because of my desire to be completely natural. I've also had fine experiences giving birth in the hospital, so I'm sure that makes my thoughts on this less valid!

Now if you are comfortable with the risks, then have your UC!! Even 1/25 is a pretty small risk really. And that's only if that is true, I was told 1/300 after having it in my urine. Is it still showing up in your urine now? I suppose if it is, THAT would explain the higher risk number you're getting.
Definitely start doing some of the natural things to treat the infection now, that'll lower the risk even further. And learn the signs of infection in a newborn (not just a fever) so you can take baby to the hospital right away if it would be necessary.



larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad you're feeling better about it now! It sounds like you have a very good plan and asking for a retest seems smart too.
I'm sure everything will work out great!


Quoting BaileysMom9:

Thank you, Larissa.  It's encouraging to hear that your OB was not as concerned about it.  I know your risks go down significantly with a fast labor because baby is exposed for less time.  Water births are also suppose to lower your risk of passing it to baby.  My OB was not the one who told me my chances were 1/25.  That was info I found online (I've since not been able to find other research supporting that).  I am still planning on using the Hibiclens rinse at the onset of labor and again in 4-6 hrs if by some miracle my labor lasts that long lol.  But from what I've researched, Hibiclens in labor is just as effective as IV antibiotics.  And like you said, if you don't get all the antibiotics in time, it doesn't do you any good (my last, I was GBS+ as well and they only had 45 min to get me hooked up and antibiotics administered before baby was born... They pushed 1 bag in and that's all they got). 

I think I just needed some time to think about it.  I was panicked the other day, and having a hard time (bad week in general).  I'm feeling better about it now though.  I do have a list of symptoms to watch for in baby right after birth, and will be sure to monitor him closely for the first 48 hrs, obviously taking him in if ANYTHING seems off. 

I'm also thinking about pushing to get retested at my next appt (I'll be 37w4d), just for my knowledge.  I'll also be upping my probiotics and taking raw garlic to help combat it or at least weaken it. 



Quoting larissalarie:

My last pregnancy, I had it show up in my urine earlier on and they gave me oral antibiotics to treat it then and told me I'd need IV antibiotics during labor and that they wouldn't do the swab because of it being in my urine earlier.
Well knowing my history of fast labors, I asked if I could be put on oral antibiotics the last week or so of my pregnancy to deal with this because having 2 hour labors, I certainly wouldn't have the 4 hours needed to get the IV antibiotics during labor. The doctor shot that idea down immediately and started telling me how even if I didn't get the antibiotics, the risk was only like 1/300 (or maybe it's 200 like you said). He NEVER mentioned that it being in my urine previously raised the risk to 1/25, if he had I probably wouldn't have left the office until I had a prescription in hand, LOL. So I would think if the head of the OB department at a big medical school hospital was so casual about the risk of going without antibiotics in labor, you shouldn't panic too much :-)
And this was before I found CM to know of any natural treatments I could have done myself to help.

So it boils down to: What risks are you comfortable taking with your baby? I honestly wasn't even comfortable with the 1/300 risk to skip the IV antibiotics by choice if I'd had time I would've consented to them, so there's no way I would've willingly taken a 1/25 chance either. Meningitis is too deadly for me to live with myself if the baby got it just because of my desire to be completely natural. I've also had fine experiences giving birth in the hospital, so I'm sure that makes my thoughts on this less valid!

Now if you are comfortable with the risks, then have your UC!! Even 1/25 is a pretty small risk really. And that's only if that is true, I was told 1/300 after having it in my urine. Is it still showing up in your urine now? I suppose if it is, THAT would explain the higher risk number you're getting.
Definitely start doing some of the natural things to treat the infection now, that'll lower the risk even further. And learn the signs of infection in a newborn (not just a fever) so you can take baby to the hospital right away if it would be necessary.




Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I have been told that the IV antibiotics will not do a thing to really prevent baby from getting Group B.

I would do Hibiclens and feel confident that it was enough...this is MY opinion though

Magnolia7
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I did not have my urine tested, but did have a positive swab. After a week of probiotics and tea tree oil vag suppositories I tested negative.
BaileysMom9
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Where did you find the suppositories?


Quoting Magnolia7:

I did not have my urine tested, but did have a positive swab. After a week of probiotics and tea tree oil vag suppositories I tested negative.

BaileysMom9
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Thanks :)


Quoting larissalarie:

I'm glad you're feeling better about it now! It sounds like you have a very good plan and asking for a retest seems smart too.

I'm sure everything will work out great!




Quoting BaileysMom9:

Thank you, Larissa.  It's encouraging to hear that your OB was not as concerned about it.  I know your risks go down significantly with a fast labor because baby is exposed for less time.  Water births are also suppose to lower your risk of passing it to baby.  My OB was not the one who told me my chances were 1/25.  That was info I found online (I've since not been able to find other research supporting that).  I am still planning on using the Hibiclens rinse at the onset of labor and again in 4-6 hrs if by some miracle my labor lasts that long lol.  But from what I've researched, Hibiclens in labor is just as effective as IV antibiotics.  And like you said, if you don't get all the antibiotics in time, it doesn't do you any good (my last, I was GBS+ as well and they only had 45 min to get me hooked up and antibiotics administered before baby was born... They pushed 1 bag in and that's all they got). 

I think I just needed some time to think about it.  I was panicked the other day, and having a hard time (bad week in general).  I'm feeling better about it now though.  I do have a list of symptoms to watch for in baby right after birth, and will be sure to monitor him closely for the first 48 hrs, obviously taking him in if ANYTHING seems off. 

I'm also thinking about pushing to get retested at my next appt (I'll be 37w4d), just for my knowledge.  I'll also be upping my probiotics and taking raw garlic to help combat it or at least weaken it. 




Quoting larissalarie:

My last pregnancy, I had it show up in my urine earlier on and they gave me oral antibiotics to treat it then and told me I'd need IV antibiotics during labor and that they wouldn't do the swab because of it being in my urine earlier.
Well knowing my history of fast labors, I asked if I could be put on oral antibiotics the last week or so of my pregnancy to deal with this because having 2 hour labors, I certainly wouldn't have the 4 hours needed to get the IV antibiotics during labor. The doctor shot that idea down immediately and started telling me how even if I didn't get the antibiotics, the risk was only like 1/300 (or maybe it's 200 like you said). He NEVER mentioned that it being in my urine previously raised the risk to 1/25, if he had I probably wouldn't have left the office until I had a prescription in hand, LOL. So I would think if the head of the OB department at a big medical school hospital was so casual about the risk of going without antibiotics in labor, you shouldn't panic too much :-)
And this was before I found CM to know of any natural treatments I could have done myself to help.

So it boils down to: What risks are you comfortable taking with your baby? I honestly wasn't even comfortable with the 1/300 risk to skip the IV antibiotics by choice if I'd had time I would've consented to them, so there's no way I would've willingly taken a 1/25 chance either. Meningitis is too deadly for me to live with myself if the baby got it just because of my desire to be completely natural. I've also had fine experiences giving birth in the hospital, so I'm sure that makes my thoughts on this less valid!

Now if you are comfortable with the risks, then have your UC!! Even 1/25 is a pretty small risk really. And that's only if that is true, I was told 1/300 after having it in my urine. Is it still showing up in your urine now? I suppose if it is, THAT would explain the higher risk number you're getting.
Definitely start doing some of the natural things to treat the infection now, that'll lower the risk even further. And learn the signs of infection in a newborn (not just a fever) so you can take baby to the hospital right away if it would be necessary.






Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)