Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

'Natural Summer Solutions, Tips & Fun' - Double Duty Plants

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this

Today's activity is double duty plants.

There are many plants that do double, even triple duty. They not only provide beauty to your landscape, but they're useful in other ways too.

Here is a list of a some of them

Basil (pictured above)- Repels flies and mosquitoes and adds a good flavor to Italian dishes.

Bee Balm- Attracts bees and butterflies to your garden and can be used as a spice or as a tea.

Borage- Repels tomato horn-worms and cabbage worms, attracts bees and wasps.

Chives- Repels Japanese beatles and carrot rust flies and can be used as a spice.

Chrysanthemums- An all natural pesticide to control roaches, ticks, silverfish, lice, fleas, bedbugs and ants. They also add a beautiful display to your garden in the fall.

Dill- Attracts hover flies and wasps, food for swallowtail butterfly caterpillars. Plant away from tomatoes to attract tomato horn-worms to it instead of the tomato plant. Repels aphids and spider mites. Can be used as a spice.

Garlic- Plant near roses to repel aphids. It also repels codling moths Japanese beetles, root maggots, snails and carrot root flies.

Lavender- Repels fleas and months and attracts a large number of beneficial insects, including bees. Can also be used as a spice and as a tea. You can also dry it to use in sachets for closets and dressers.

Petunias- Repel asparagus beetles, leaf hoppers, aphids, tomato worms and various other pests.

These are just a handful of the many plants that play double and triple duty. Do you have any of these in your gardens/flower beds? What other plants would you add to this list?

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM
We have basil in our garden.
youngmom16
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM
I have garlic. I now want to plant basil and chrysanthemums!
pinkcsmtlgy

I have basil, dill and lavendar and I love them all. I also have peppermint which not only tastes good but also repells bugs.

smileydawn
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

This is a red stem elephant bush and is native to Africa. It's a great air purifier!! In captivity this is 90% of an elephant's diet.
Monkiebut
by Tiffany on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Now I'm glad we planted our dill on the other side of the garden than tomatoes!
I also heard planting radishes near your melons/ squash will attract the bugs to the radish not the growing melon/squash.
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I have some basil. I want to add lavender and chrysanthemum.
smileydawn
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM
We just moved. I left behind a plethora of herbs and flowers. I had lavender, basil, garlic, and mint. We had lilies and hydrangeas out front.
rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I don't have any of those :(

FelipesMom
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM

We have lemon balm. Rub the leaves on your skin to repel mosquitoes (it doesn't work as well as bug spray, but it is better than nothing if you are out and don't want to use stinky bug spray!), AND it makes a delicious pesto! We call it a lemon bomb because it grows so fast and so well, too.

AudlyLuvly
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM
I have mint plants at my doors to try to keep the spiders away.... doesn't work to good.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)