Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'Natural Summer Solutions, Tips & Fun' - Common Summer Ailment Solutions

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 42 Replies

Today's challenge is common summer ailment solutions.

Each summer we find ourselves faced with various common ailments from bug bites to sunburn and even a minor cut or scrape.

Here are some common ailments and their solutions

Sunburn: Refrigerate a piece of aloe plant to use on sunburn. You can also add a little lavender essential oil to help with the pain. Coconut oil is also another great soother.

Mosquito Bites: Add a couple of drops of lavender essential oil to come coconut oil and massage onto bite. You can also use witch hazel.

Poison Ivy or Oak: A 50/50 mixture of lavender and tea tree oil applied directly to the rash helps soothe and heal poison quickly. Aloe can also be used to help soothe itching, especially as the poison heals.

Cuts and Scrapes: Use the following recipe 

• 1 1/2 oz beeswax, grated
  • 1 cup olive, almond or coconut oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon vitamin E oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon tea tree oil
  • 20 drops lavender essential oil
  • 10 drops lemon essential oil
  • Melt beeswax and oil in double boiler. Remove from heat, add vitamin E and the essential oils and stir. Pour into small sterilized jars and cool.

Have you ever used any of these solutions? What other solutions do you use for common summer ailments?

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smileydawn
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Always aloe for sunburns. My grandma had four or five aloe plants. We use them as well. I didn't know that lavender and coconut oil will help mosquito bites. They eat me alive!
babycarney08
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I have a bug bite stick. Burn cream for burns. Aloe in a bottle for sunburn. Neosporin for cuts n scrapes. Guess maybe we should try some of these this summer. Thanks! Saved all recipes :)
TwoOnTheWay
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM

cool!  I'll have to try the mosquito bite one... my son and I are both covered in itchy swollen bites!!  

AspensMama1537
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM
I used to use aloe all the time. My mom had a plant. Just yesterday my husband bought me an aloe plant I was SO excited! He thought it was a cactus, lol.
Monkiebut
by Tiffany on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM
I've done the aloe. I also remember my mom making a baking soda mixture for bee stinks
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I use coconut oil for sunburns and bug bites. 

FelipesMom
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

These are great ideas, thanks!

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Aloe is great, I need to just get an aloe plant. EOs are awesome, and make great bug repellents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM
I've used both aloe vera and coconut oil with lavender. They both work great!
rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I have used aloe for sunburn and witch hazel actually works too.  I have also used witch hazel for bug bites.  I haven't had poison ivy/oak forever.  I will have to try coconut oil on burns too ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)