Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

When do you stop taking a bath or being nude in front of your son?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM
  • 30 Replies
I never gave this a thought until a co-worker asked me this question when I mentioned that my son who will be three years next month takes a shower or soak with me. I love this time together as well as taking naps together. From the time he was a baby whenever we took a shower together he would snuggle close to me and place his head inbetween neck and should and i would sing to him and he loved that and the hot water keeping him warm. I am pregnant now so pretty soon this will stop but at what age do you stop being either nude or in underwear around your son? I grew up in a house where it was very normal to walk from the bathroom to our room in our underwear, same for my parents but not when anyone else was around.
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:09 PM

No clue. Mine is 4 and I'm still naked and shower with I'm. Nudity is no big deal in our house though. 

BabyFruit Ticker

sm12
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Even though I was and am very comfy around my family (parents and older brother) I am not comfy around others - could be because I am self conscious and am big chested.  But my husband grew up the opposite, you won't find him without a shirt.  It annoys me that when my inlaws come over and if my son if in a diaper or just a short even when he was 1 year old they will pass a comment about not having pants or shirt on!

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Around age 5 I start.setting more of those boundaries. I try and dress away from them, and stop taking showers with them, but they have walked in on me naked and its not a big deal. We talk about thise are private parts too. My 2 1/2 yr old still sees me naked and takes a shower with me on occasion.
ruby_jewel_04
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

IDK. My 6 year old DS still walks in to my room with out knocking, so he sees me naked daily(and no, I don't have a locking handle). Then my 3 yo DS likes to jump in the shower with me with out asking. LOL. The kid would live in the tub if I let him. 

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Idk, my sons are 4 & 2 and I don't worry about it yet. If they follow me when I go change or take a shower I'm not going to freak out and make a big deal. I'm sure it'll naturally stop when it needs to, just like it did with my daughter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
positiveNRG
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm curious why you plan to stop now that you're pregnant? I am 9 months pregnant and still take baths with my almost 3 year old son. On occasion he'll point and laugh at certain body parts or say something like 'mommy doesn't have a penis'  or 'mommy has boobies', but it's obvious he's just curious. I want to raise him to be open and confident about nudity which is how my huusband and I live --but certainly not how we were raised :o

sm12
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I meant carrying him in the shower due to my growing belly and our shower is also small so bath will still happen of course except when I want my quiet time - then I take a soak when he is asleep :) Thats what I want fo rmy children as well to be comfortable with their bodies.  FYI we plan on having my son being present when I have this baby in water.  I figure he might jump into the water with me...lol

Quoting positiveNRG:

I'm curious why you plan to stop now that you're pregnant? I am 9 months pregnant and still take baths with my almost 3 year old son. On occasion he'll point and laugh at certain body parts or say something like 'mommy doesn't have a penis'  or 'mommy has boobies', but it's obvious he's just curious. I want to raise him to be open and confident about nudity which is how my huusband and I live --but certainly not how we were raised :o

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I don't know yet, my oldest is a girl, but she's only three. I don't shower with her or my 1yo ds, but not to avoid them seeing me naked. They both come with me when I pee, every time. My dd likes to take cold showers and ds refuses to not scream while I bathe him. I figure eventually it will just happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
positiveNRG
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

That's so beautiful!  I think having our older children present will help distract from the pain or at least help us to be stronger and endure. I would love to have a home water birth, but I have had a few complications so I plan to stay at home as long as possible but deliver naturally in the hospital just in case.

Quoting sm12:

FYI we plan on having my son being present when I have this baby in water.  I figure he might jump into the water with me...lol

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Right around four when kids start to develop long term memories. I say that, but I don't have any boys so I really don't know. I'd follow his behavior if I did. I'm nude around my girls all the time. I'm teaching my five year old about privacy around other people, which is one reason I say probably around four.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)