Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Eczema help... I think..

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM
  • 12 Replies

When my daughter was around 4 mths old she developed a bad rash on her face. After tons of frustration we discovered it was eczema. The doctor prescribed a steriod ointment along with regular use of vanicream (some kind of lotion). He told me if we had other reoccurances to use some hydrocortizone. She has not really had any flair ups until recently. We live in way south TX with high heat and humidity and just when temps started getting in the 90's i noticed her start to break out in a rash around her mouth and nose.

I at first thought it might have been eczema but the beginning stages of it and used a little bit of hydrocortozone but it did not do much. I then thought it was from dribble from a sippy cup at night so I started using some petrolieum jelly at night to help keep it dry and it kept it from getting worse but did not relieve it. Now I am thinking it might be eczema again. I have also tried a day or two with just coconut oil and it again does not make it better just makes it not get worse.

Help please! I cannot get rid of this rash!  BTW it does not seem to bother her but it does get a lil more red or irritated after a meal or a bath. She is right at 20mths old

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jun. 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Tell me about dairy intake...this is what causes my sons to flair up.  Also does your LO drool? we found chapping was an issue not actual excema

kspear0120
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I had the thought of dairy but I have not cut it out completley yet. For the last few days she has only been drinking almond milk but she still gets yogurt almost daily (greek yogurt usually) and occasional cheese with a meal. Cheese with a meal though is not completley common. 

As far as drooling she does not much on her own during the day but she usually has a sippy of water when she lays down to bed at night and i think she dribbles that at night. I've put petrolium jelly on her before bedtime to help with that if that was the case but not seeing much difference. Tell me if there is something better I can use.  

Can dairy or another food suddenly cause a flair up like this when her diet has not actually significantly changed or is it more than likely an environmental cause?   The rash is a lil bumpy btw in the areas where it is trying to spread and tends to get dry but she is not acting like it bothers her.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Tell me about dairy intake...this is what causes my sons to flair up.  Also does your LO drool? we found chapping was an issue not actual excema

CafeMom Tickers

Kristen - happily married to Xander and mom to A (9/25/09 9.9lbs), Z (9/27/10 8.13 lbs and has craniosynostosis), and S (11/8/11 9.15lbs and Successful natural VBA2C!) 

GoodyBrook
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:57 AM
2 moms liked this

I purchased Vanicream at the advice of the allergist.  The ND then suggested that something beeswax-based would be superior.  I found a product called "sturdy girl" (sold in a nearby town by a family who makes it in their kitchen) and it works great...

Sorry your LO is having problems.  Eczema sucks...  :(

Precious333
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:07 AM
My nephew has severe ezcema, and so far they are still finding the culprit and what works, he will be turnkng 7 and had it since he was a baby.

I also.have a friend whose kids get it on their face, because of food allergies, and so she stays away from.those foods obviously, but also said alfalfa helps with allergic reactions.
GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Humidity and dairy break out my sons eczema. Keeping a food/weather journal helped us find his triggers. We use Vaseline on him lightly at night but I will never put steroids on him again. They make his break outs so much worse. My sons worst flare up spots are behind his knees and tr crook of his arms. I think his breaks out in the summer because of his sweat. Not sure by it would just be on her face though. Hmm. Poor baby.
kspear0120
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:29 AM

thanks! when she had it at around 6mths it was just her face. But i keep wondering if it might be something else. I think the look of it bothers me more than the rash bothers her. Someone else mentioned trying tea tree oil. I used it mixed with coconut oil on a yeast infection she had on her bottom. I am wondering if it would work on this and if you can use tea tree oil on the face.

Quoting GreenDotsOrange:

Humidity and dairy break out my sons eczema. Keeping a food/weather journal helped us find his triggers. We use Vaseline on him lightly at night but I will never put steroids on him again. They make his break outs so much worse. My sons worst flare up spots are behind his knees and tr crook of his arms. I think his breaks out in the summer because of his sweat. Not sure by it would just be on her face though. Hmm. Poor baby.

kspear0120
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:31 AM

how do u use alfalfa and where do u get it?

Quoting Precious333:

My nephew has severe ezcema, and so far they are still finding the culprit and what works, he will be turnkng 7 and had it since he was a baby.

I also.have a friend whose kids get it on their face, because of food allergies, and so she stays away from.those foods obviously, but also said alfalfa helps with allergic reactions.

GoodyBrook
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Alfalfa can be purchased from Mountain Rose Herbs online.

If your family has a history of autoimmune disorders, you may want to weigh the pros and cons of taking it.  (You can take it in tea).

Quoting kspear0120:

Quoting Precious333:

GreenDotsOrange
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:36 AM
I have used tea tree oil in his bath and it made his worse. He seems to have very sensitive skin. I have learns though that what works for one person may or may not work for another. We have found what works for us through trial and error. I would just double check the oil to make sure it's non toxic since its so close to her face. I don't know a lot about them. Our son got a blood test done for allergies and it came back that he had none but if he has dairy you see him break out in a rash from head to toe almost instantly. He drinks almond milk too. How long have you been giving her the almond milk? It takes up to 6 weeks to get dairy out of your system an notice a difference in their skin. A blood test for allergies might be a good place to start though.
kspear0120
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:37 AM

none known

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Alfalfa can be purchased from Mountain Rose Herbs online.

If your family has a history of autoimmune disorders, you may want to weigh the pros and cons of taking it.  (You can take it in tea).

Quoting kspear0120:

Quoting Precious333:

CafeMom Tickers

Kristen - happily married to Xander and mom to A (9/25/09 9.9lbs), Z (9/27/10 8.13 lbs and has craniosynostosis), and S (11/8/11 9.15lbs and Successful natural VBA2C!) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN