Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

pumping and bottle?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM
  • 17 Replies
how soon can i start to pump after birth? how soon can i try baby with a bottle? how long would you let a new baby be away from you at a time? i wnt to bf and not give any formula at all but baby will have to go with his dad at some point for a period of time without me :( i also plain on going back to school as soon as i can. how can i make sure to pump enough and still keep baby 100% bfed?

BabyFruit Ticker

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nolanzo
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I pumped within minutes of birth, as I started out Eping. Every two hours around the clock if exclusively pumping. If not, try to wait at least 6 weeks with direct feeding until your supply is established with baby and pray she doesn't get nipple confusion.

I lucked out with a baby who easily toggles between breast and bottle with no problems, but this isn't always the case. Good luck!!! :)
mommytotwonow
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Quoting Nolanzo:

I pumped within minutes of birth, as I started out Eping. Every two hours around the clock if exclusively pumping. If not, try to wait at least 6 weeks with direct feeding until your supply is established with baby and pray she doesn't get nipple confusion.

I lucked out with a baby who easily toggles between breast and bottle with no problems, but this isn't always the case. Good luck!!! :)

no way can i wait 6 weeks :( 

Nolanzo
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I hope you have a high quality double electric pump then, because you will not be able to leave him for ANY length of time at that age... 6 weeks is minimum to establish your milk supply and for your body to accommodate your baby's demands for food.

What's going on here? Is the father having visitation or something that requires you to be apart that early? I would strongly suggest against being separated from him at that age at all.

If you decide to, you can certainly *just* pump from day one and start building a big stash of breastmilk. Honestly that is what I did because I knew I'd have to go back to work immediately. I still nurse her directly when were together, but the rest of the time I pump so she always has breastmilk when were not together.

Quoting mommytotwonow:

Quoting Nolanzo:

no way can i wait 6 weeks :( 

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM
I went back to work at 2 weeks with my older 2. I pumped once first thing in the morning a few days before going back with my cheap double electric pump.
You don't need a huge stock, just enough for the first day, then you pump every few hours (2-3 ideally, even overnight if Dad is keeping baby overnight) of separation to get the milk needed for the next separation.

Mom NEVER gives a bottle. Dad/caregiver will do that, baby might not like it but they'll eat rather than starve, eventually.
Making certain that Dad/caregiver sticks strictly to the ounce per hour "rule" and know how to properly pace bottle feedings for a breastfed baby is extremely important to avoiding breastfeeding issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I wanted to store and produce a lot, so I started pumping as soon as my milk came in so that my supply would adjust with my pumping habits. I'm really glad I did that.
Wait as long as you can to introduce a bottle to avoid nipple confusion or bottle preference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Also, join the Breastfeeding group here on CM.  They're great with advice about BFing and pumping...

jconney80
by Group Mod on Jun. 27, 2013 at 2:54 AM
I'd try to avoid long separations until baby is older to establish milk supply.

Quoting jellyphish:

I wanted to store and produce a lot, so I started pumping as soon as my milk came in so that my supply would adjust with my pumping habits. I'm really glad I did that.

Wait as long as you can to introduce a bottle to avoid nipple confusion or bottle preference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sm12
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM

A great book to have on hand is "The Womanly Art Of Breastfeeding' By La Leche League.  A really helpful book to assist with breastfeeding and all questions/concerns related.  You could also join a La Leche League group now even before baby is born and this is even more helpful.  The meetings are free and you have other moms to help answer questions as well as experienced/educated instructors some of which might be a IBLCE certified.  The book and or meetings will tell you best time to start pumping (which can be right after birth), they will discuss how to express, you will get different view points regarding pumping machines, storage, bottles, etc.  Evry helpful indeed.  And you might even find other moms in a similar situation.  Good Luck! 

Homeschoolmo701
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I don't like to pump, but sometimes I have to because I have so much milk.  I'm a SAHM and the first couple of months, I'm pretty much tied to my baby because I breast feed on demand and that's about every two hours....day and night.  My last baby self weaned at two years old which was good because I was already pregnant with the baby I'm pregnant with now.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I didn't know you could pump that soon after giving birth.  That's great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)