Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

When to start cod liver oil and probiotics?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:41 AM
  • 18 Replies

I am due with a new baby in August and I am curious when it is time to start probiotics and codliver oil in a new baby? I plan to breastfeed.

CafeMom Tickers

Kristen - happily married to Xander and mom to A (9/25/09 9.9lbs), Z (9/27/10 8.13 lbs and has craniosynostosis), and S (11/8/11 9.15lbs and Successful natural VBA2C!) 

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Do you mean when to GIVE them to a baby?

I'd never give either orally to a EBF baby.  But you could rub the probiotics on baby's tummy IF s/he had antibiotics at birth.  Not sure why you'd do it otherwise...

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Babies need no supplements, especially breastfed babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I've never used those, I'm not sure.

kspear0120
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM

so taking them myself would give the baby the benefits of them then

Quoting jellyphish:

kspear0120
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM

yes i meant to give them to the baby. I did not knwo they made probiotics that work like that but unless there is a problem there would be no antibiotics.   I know that Cod liver oil and probiotics have benefits to my older kids but nursing did nto go well with them. I also did not start them on those things till they were older.  

I have read other places that talked about babies getting cod liver oil at a pretty young age but it is all new to me. We are also living in a campus type situation (in our own house but on a campus) and with not vaccinating I am wanting to make sure that his immune system is up. If the concensus is that it is not needed though I am good with that :) This will be the first baby not vaccinated at all and hopefully EBF.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Do you mean when to GIVE them to a baby?

I'd never give either orally to a EBF baby.  But you could rub the probiotics on baby's tummy IF s/he had antibiotics at birth.  Not sure why you'd do it otherwise...

kspear0120
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Do any of you use those items with kids who are not breastfead or after they are weaned?

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I wouldn't give those things to an exclusively breastfed baby with a virgin gut. Maybe if baby needs antibiotics at some point, do probiotics to help balance the good bacteria, but otherwise I wouldn't until baby is much older and well established on solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kspear0120
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM

thanks for your imput. I was curious about the Vit D from the cod liver oil bc i know doctors scream about that with new borns and always recommend the drops. I didn't know if that was a good way to do it or if it was better to use something else or if it was not necessary.

Quoting larissalarie:

I wouldn't give those things to an exclusively breastfed baby with a virgin gut. Maybe if baby needs antibiotics at some point, do probiotics to help balance the good bacteria, but otherwise I wouldn't until baby is much older and well established on solids.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Your milk has probiotics anyway, taking them would only benefit you if you need them.

Vitamin D can be found in better sources, like sunlight and mushrooms. Your milk will have plenty if you are not deficient. And the baby will get plenty himself if he is exposed to a little sunlight. It bothers me that vit d is routinely recommended to bf infants w/o cause. I am very opposed to giving supplements to an infant w/o a known deficiency because they are so hard on the liver. If you're worried about it, you can always have his blood tested.

The best thing to do, IMO, is to continue with prenatals while nursing and eat a healthy diet.

Quoting kspear0120:

so taking them myself would give the baby the benefits of them then

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM
My five yo takes a multi because she is a very picky eater. But that's it.

Quoting kspear0120:

Do any of you use those items with kids who are not breastfead or after they are weaned?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)